Author Topic: 52 4 cyl fuel pump?  (Read 2549 times)

jap tin

• View Profile
    • Email
52 4 cyl fuel pump?
« on: August 05, 2012, 04:57:34 PM »
Got the 52 J fired up for a short time. I have fuel to the pump but it's not pumping it up.
The fuel pump is the one with the vacume pod on the bottom. The vacume is not hooked up presently, just manifold vacume to the wippers.
Can you get rebuild kits for these pumps?
If I hook up the vacume part of the fuel pump, does one line go to manifold vacume and then the other line to the wippers? Or is there a vacume tank involved somewhere?
Thanks for the help.  :)

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 52 4 cyl fuel pump?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 05:51:48 PM »
Hi Jap tin. A couple things to mention on that pump on the four cylinder Js - there is a spacer that's used when mounted. It moves the arm back a bit from the cam lobe so the pump doesn't pump too fast so when you install reinstall don't forget to put it back on. Also, the fuel pump vacuum section is the larger section. I got them mixed up my first time and put the fuel line through the larger section...  gas sprayed out of the carb and washed my windsheild! Too much pressure and severely flooded my engine.  Anyway, you probably won't have that problem. A good piece of info is that the 134 CID Four cylinder engine is the same one  used in the Willys Jeeps and passenger cars. Parts are easy to get and a lot of stuff is available at Walcks 4 Wheel Drive. Here's the pump you need -
http://walcks4wd.com/fuel-pump-w-vacuum-4-cylinder.html
I think rebuild kits are available for them too at Then and Now Automotive or Now And Then... I can't find my info on them but the cost of the new ones seem reasonable. The only difference I see is the original ones used in the days of the Henry J have a glass sediment bowl on top whereas these new ones don't. If you put an inline fuel filter on the car, that won't matter.  A couple of things to keep in mind is the in 1952 the Henry J changed to Delco electrical equipment whereas I believe Willys and Jeep stuck with Autolite so if you need electric/ignition parts, check to see if you have Delco or Autolite before purchasing anything. Walck's main site is -
http://walcks4wd.com/

Another place which used to be good for HJ mechanical parts was Northstar Willys in Dassell, MN. They seem to have backed off a lot lately so I don't know if they're still doing much selling but their site is

www.northstarwillys.com

1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 09:48:35 PM »
Also, have you disconnected the line at the pump and tried putting a peice of line from the pump directly into a gas can and tried it? A tank full of sludge, as many are after sitting for years, will clog the fuel line. It sounds like you're aware of that but I just thought I'd ask because sometimes it's easy to overlook the obvious. To be honest, in all my years of working on old cars, I've never seen a fuel pump completely fail. I've replaced leaky or noisy pumps but they all pumped and some were very old.
Let us know what you find.
And by the way, you are correct about the vacuum line. The "in" will go the manifold and the "out" will go to the wiper motor (usually connected to a vacuum hose through the firewall).
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:19:41 AM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

jap tin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 10:47:09 AM »
Thanks for all the help. I found a pump on e-bay that had the fittings clocked in the same positions as the pump on the car.
300512563274Item number: It also had the same vacume set up. I took apart the old pump and the diaframs were rotted and cracked. I may do the gravity feed before the pump shows up.

jap tin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 10:14:59 PM »
The fuel pump is pumping again. Used a duel pump for a jeep. Now I just need to kit the carb and fire it up and see what else it needs.

Quadromaniac

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 07:57:39 AM »
NAPA has carb kits. I bought one a few months ago.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 09:04:47 AM »
Good news. Sounds like you are familiar with fuel systems. Best of luck on the carb rebuild.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

jap tin

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 07:09:05 PM »
Ran it up and down the driveway.  Radiator is leaking and the brakes need work but the little flathead 4 is sound. Time for new tires.  :)