Author Topic: Door locks?  (Read 2270 times)

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
Door locks?
« on: September 17, 2012, 12:54:04 AM »
So something I have been wondering, whats up with door locks on Henrys?  My car on the passenger side has a door handle with a key hole under a little rotating cover on the button, but yet the drivers side just has a regular button on it.  Is this how they came from the factory and is there anyway to lock the drivers side?  I don't know if the passenger side locks as I have no key for it.  Also, I've noticed there's no door lock actuators like every car has in the doors.   

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Door locks?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 04:52:09 AM »
Yes, that's the way Henry Js came from the factory. Back in the 50s, you entered a car from the curb (remember, one parallel parked...mall style parking was still a new thing) so there was no need for a driver side lock. This was also a cost cutting measure aimed at keeping a J to a price point. A lock can be added and it's an easy task.

To lock the driver door, just push the inside handle forward and close the door.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 04:53:23 AM »
Cars of old had locks just on the passenger/curb side.
The driver would lock the driver side from inside, and safely exit the car from the curb side.

Since my HJ is a daily driver, I put lock cylinders on both sides.

Those at local cruise nights and car show don't know the difference and I do not get judged at KF events.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:53:50 AM »
I'm surprised your car still has the lock on the passenger side as most of them, including all three of mine, have had them moved to the driver's side as that makes more sense. What Joe says is correct though, back in the day people always got out on the passenger side. Watch some old movies from the 1950s and you'll note that everyone exits the car on the passenger side. 
Believe it or not, the early Model T Fords did not even have a door on the driver's side!
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 03:05:15 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »
Wow, that is cool!  Sorry, I'm young (22) and this is the oldest car I've ever owned.  Went out in the garage and sure enough they work!  So where can I get a new lock cylinder for mine or are they hard to find?  I'm going to keep it how it is, just would be nice to have a key.  Thanks for the info.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
If all you need is a key, you can take the door handle off, remove the lock cylinder and take it to a Locksmith and have a key made. That's what I did with mine.  You can also have the cylinder redone to match the ingition switch if that's what you need.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Larry A.Bell

• Larry B
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:45:11 PM »
I bought my 52 HJ from Conn. 2yrs ago. The door lock was also on the passage side. curb side parking back in the 50's.I since moved my door lock to the drivers side for 2012.Made since back in the day!
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe