Author Topic: Stop lamp switch/brake lights  (Read 1751 times)

bearman

• View Profile
    • Email
Stop lamp switch/brake lights
« on: September 04, 2012, 10:51:40 AM »
When I bought my 1953 Henry J Corsair 3 weeks ago, nothing electrical worked.  Now I've got headlights, one tail light, the horn, wipers, heater/defroster, and one parking light to work.  The brake lights are something else.  I've ordered a new switch, because bypassing it, I got one light to come on.  Here's my question: From the firewall, taped together come the two wires that attach to the stop lamp switch; there's a third, about a foot long, with a fork connector on the end.  What is this wire????  It's just hanging there.  Any other brake light advice?

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stop lamp switch/brake lights
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 11:39:01 AM »
Just some FYI, NAPA has the stop light switch, it's a common one used on many vehicles. NAPA Part number SL-134 and you'll pay much less at NAPA than other sources. They usually have it in stock too.  Regarding that third wire, you'd have to trace it and see where it goes as it was not that way originally. Remember the car is almost 60  years old and things were likely changed on it. You can't assume things are original. It may be for a signal light hook up because they were optional or after-market on the J. A picture or a trace would help.
Regarding the tail lights - the ground is provided through the chrome tail light body through the tail light body mounting bolts. Because they're above and behind the rear wheels, rain, slush etc. slops up on them and they corrode big time and loose their connection. I've had to remove the four screw holding the tail light body, then clean the speednuts so they make a good ground contact. That usually fixes them.  A good way to troubleshoot this take a wire and touch the tail light body and then touch the other end of the wire to a good known ground (the trunk latch catch usually works well for this) and see if the light comes on. If it does, you've got a bad ground from the tail light body to the car body.  This is pretty common on the later Js.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2012, 11:45:02 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 01:42:18 PM »
That third wire could be for the turn signals.
There is one wire from the turnsignal swith that ties into the brake light circuit.

bearman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 02:50:38 PM »
Thank you, Fid and Terry T.  I have my homework cut out for me.  Wish me luck!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2012, 09:24:15 PM »
Boy did I blow it on this one bearman! I was just out messing with my J and looked down at the brake light switch and saw that third wire you mentioned. I never went out and looked at it but if I had, I would've had the answer for you. It's a bit later but I do have the answer - you are correct, there is a third wire coming out of that harness and it goes to the oil pressure sending unit toward the back of the block.
See photo - it's the yellow wire and the view of the connector is obstructed by the vacuum line.

The other end of it that goes back through the harness goes up to the indicator light.
If you should need the sending  unit, it's available; Echlin OP6079 (NAPA) or Neihoff OP25701.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2012, 09:27:12 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

bearman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »
Fid, Thanks so much, although no apology was needed.  This is really helpful; I wasn't sure if my oil pressure gauge was working in the first place.  Complete with a photo--this makes life simple.  I plan to attach this wire tomorrow.

bearman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2012, 04:31:33 PM »
Wire attached--oil pressure gauge works!  Thanks!