Author Topic: Paint  (Read 1655 times)

retired wrench

• View Profile
Paint
« on: October 09, 2012, 10:21:06 AM »
Found kind of an interesting site.    http://www.circlekf.com/kfcars/colorbulletin.htm

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paint
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 02:49:47 PM »
Unfortunately, the information is for historical interest only as the paint #'s from the vendors are no longer viable for mixing paint.  Additionally, because of the normal scanner distortions and operation of computers and screens, the visual appearance of the colors may not be accurate in all cases,

Those needing to re-paint their cars can go to their local Ditzler/PPG jobber with the color name and paint number off the firewall tag of their vehicle.  Ditzler's Color Library will scan their master reference chip (assuming they made the color for refinishing) with their computer spectrometer.  This wil produce the current mixing formula to re-create the original color.  This information is provided to the jobber at no charge, but he is not allowed to pass on the formula to the public.  The idea is that the Color Library information is dealer support and used to make a paint sale.

Rinshed-Mason may operate a similar type facility to support their ICL jobbers under similar conditions.  I have no info on DuPont, Sherwin-Williams or other motor vehicle paint makers of the period.

You also need to find out if the color being created will come out in a lacquer or enamel. 

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 09:41:49 AM »

If you notice I didnt say useful I said interesting. And for me who was trying to remember what the name of the blue on the J I had it was useful. Im sure most folks would realize you cant buy 50 year old paint today. I date back to when you had "Duco and Dulux" and that was it. As in "she has 14 coats of hand rubbed lacquer"

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 06:27:06 AM »
I still get the occasional request for the ORIGINAL mix formulas for K-F and Willys colors so they can take it to their local paint source to get it mixed.  Checking further with them, it appears they believe that there is a cross-reference in the paint store's posession that will tell them what colors to use if a component color is no longer in production.

More significant though is that I have seen people (not necessarily KFOCI folks) try to use the original color chips (or printed color images of the chips) as a basis for getting paint mixed by eye-match to color.  Those who know also know better to do something like this, but others not so well versed still try.