Author Topic: LUBING HJ SPEEDOMETER  (Read 1278 times)

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
LUBING HJ SPEEDOMETER
« on: December 05, 2012, 07:51:39 AM »
I HAVE BEEN LOOKING IN THE SHOP MANUAL FOR THE PROPER WAY TO LUBRICATE THE SPEEDOMETER HEAD BUT CAN'T FIND IT OR OVERLOOKING IT . CAN ANYONE ADVISE ME ?

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: LUBING HJ SPEEDOMETER
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 11:00:55 AM »
King-Seeley made the instrument clusters (including speedometer head) for the HJ's and used a "lifetime" lubricant anticipating that the part would fail for other reasons (usually the odometer jammed up) before the lubrication dried out.   

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 11:13:36 AM »
Well I just had one out of my car in Oct. There really is no place to lube it without dis-assembley.  I did not take it apart and to be honest, it was not giving me any trouble, I just decided that while I had it out, I'd see if I could lube it.  I ended up just putting a drop of 5W30 oil in the hole where the cable connects.  Most issues with speedos are cable related. If the needle is jumpy and you're hearing some noises, lube the cable first as that will likely take care of it. The nice thing about it is, you can disconnect the cable and the back, then pull the core/cable out of the sheath and lube it. I pulled it out on mine and put some oil down the sheath, let it run down for a while, the did it again to make sure there was oil in the sheath. Then, I took a rag and soaked it with 5W30 oil and pulled the cable itself through the rag to lube it with oil. I made sure it was soaked good with oil from end to end. Then put it back in the sheath and that should take care of most issues.  Be careful not to get oil on upholstery etc. as it will be messy!
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 07:27:21 PM »
I have the cable and cluster out along with most of the car as i have had it apart to partial restore it for a good driver . I am getting it back together now and thought i should lube it while i had it out . It quit working before the tear down but that was from the drive gear shearing the teeth off. I had one stuck away but forgot where i put it . I pilphered though the attic and found it last night along with a bunch of other " STUFF " i forgot i had . Does anyone else do that ? Collect parts and forget you have them or just forget where you put them .
  Anyway , if someone has an idea on the lube thing , i would appreciate hearing from you .

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:34:15 PM »
I've got all my parts in an Access database and I still forget I have certain things! I'll buy a part, go to enter it in an find I already have one! Now I check the database first... unless I'm at a swap meet or somewhere that I can't.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios