Author Topic: 51 Kaiser restoration  (Read 15966 times)

lacyf

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51 Kaiser restoration
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2009, 10:29:04 PM »
I have this idea of useing chevy disc brakes in front and drum in the rear..my thoughts are to use the existing master cyl...will the disc brakes work with out a power unit????thanx

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2009, 05:40:00 AM »
That will work, but it is only a single well cylinder. You don't need power and you don't need a dual master cylinder but they are both good ideas if possible. You probably should put a proportioning valve in the system. Is your car auto or standard? Ours being standard has the clutch pivot running through the master cylinder. I think we are going to install a trans swap kit and run a turbo 350. Then we will have space for a power booster and dual master.

lacyf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2009, 12:44:36 PM »
Thanks for the info,I think there is a power booster in my future,,,,,,,,,,,,sounds like a much safer approach...

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: June 17, 2009, 03:51:45 PM »
Finally got some shop time to work on the Kaiser again. We have the disc brakes all fabbed up. Unfortunately they will not fit under stock wheels and to make them fit would mean starting from scratch on parts and design. I will post some pics tomorrow of the progress. 

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 01:40:40 PM »
It's been a while but we have some time in the shop to start up again on the project. I will post some pics as we go.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 12:00:02 AM »
I just finished a similar hood lip repair on my '53-had rusted badly on both the inner and outer parts. What I did appears to have been the same as shown above-used 18 ga on both upper and lower (inner and outer)  sections, and used a stitch welder. I cut and shaped the pieces myself-took some time and required just a couple of cuts and welds to get the exact shape. Made patterns from the original and then duplicated in metal. I have no formal sheet metal bending equipment, but have some dollies I made from wood with the right shapes. Some hours of fussing for sure, but cost me practically nothing for materials, since I've been buying 18 ga in 4x8 foot sheets (four or five to date.) My time is in principle free.

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2010, 06:35:50 AM »
That is the best way to learn. Too many people go out and spend a fortune on tools and have no concept of what to do with them.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 20, 2010, 10:34:42 PM »
Looks nice...frame should be black, engine block and cylinder head castings a shade of green rather than red, but color choice is actually up to the individual.

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2010, 06:38:41 AM »
Yeah, we are building a mild custom out of this one.

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2010, 02:45:31 PM »
Is that the original rear axle?  What kind of rear springs did you use?    thanks and beautiful job!    Jim

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2010, 04:52:24 PM »
Yes that is the og axle and springs. We removed the wrapping that was on them, broke the leafs down to single pieces and blasted them. We then primed and painted each leaf separately. Thanks for the compliment.