Author Topic: !953 Kaiser Manhattan  (Read 2635 times)

fljags95

• View Profile
    • Email
!953 Kaiser Manhattan
« on: March 26, 2009, 07:12:10 PM »
 I am rescuing a Manhattan to be a daily driver. I have pulled the engine and automatic transmission and are willing to sell all or parts. I need an idea of how to find out what the color of the headliner and the carpet would be. The seats have been changed too. I have the original doorpanels and the pieces that go up the door posts. Do these relate to the carpets and headliner colors? I see on Ebay that there is one company in Oregon called SMS Auto Fabrics that say they can make all the pieces I need. Has anybody used them yet? I am in Jacksonville Fl and have not seen any Kaisers locally. Help appreciated. Thanks, Dan

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
Re: !953 Kaiser Manhattan
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 09:50:08 PM »
The company you mentioned is an excellent source of interior materials and some of our club members went on a tour of the facility during the National meet in Salem, if I remember correctly.  The interior colors will be listed on the body plate on the firewall as the number under the word "trim". This indicates what interior options the car has.  Looks like the color combinations are located on page C-62-a and -b for the Manhattan in the Club Handbook. Something called "Bambu Vinyl" was used extensively on the 53's.  I think SMS has patterns for this material.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2009, 12:21:47 AM »
I spoke to SMS recently and they are currently producing both bambu and boucle (used for headliner) vinyl.  If they don't produce your color, they said you can send them a sample and they will match it.  They are also working on producing the luxura material, used for seat inserts, as well as laguna cloth, which was used for seat inserts in the Dragon.  Good luck!

fljags95

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2009, 09:03:47 AM »
But if my seats have been recovered how can i find out what the propercolor combination is supposed to be? Dan

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2009, 03:07:29 PM »
If you post the trim code from the data plate on here someone will be able to tell you the colors. I think you emailed me about your car and asked about a brochure I had in my collection. There is a pic of interior of a 53 on postcard which is item 535-5 at the kfnut.com site also. I don't have any of these items pictured for sale.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)