Author Topic: Current KFOCI publications  (Read 2605 times)

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
Current KFOCI publications
« on: January 28, 2013, 11:28:24 AM »
After a 4 year sabbatical from KFOCI I just rejoined in December 2012. When I first joined in 1998, I obtained the KFOCI Handbook Third Edition. Now I see occasional comments on this site referring to Handbook 4.0 (as well as a 5.0 in the works). I was wondering how I would go about getting ahold of the Handbook 4.0, or at least the updates in it after 3.0, that I could insert into my third edition notebook.

Years ago when I bought my 53 Kaiser Manhattan, the seller included in the trunk many back issues of the Quarterly going back as early as 1970. Although I do not have all of them sequentially I have many and I enjoy reading what I have. So I am wondering how I could get ahold of back issues of Quarterly from the time of 2008 to present that I was absent from the club.

Also my joining in December may have been inopportune for getting the 2013 calendar, but if still available let me know.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe Ferriss

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Current KFOCI publications
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 04:12:54 PM »
There are no "pages" to insert into Version 3.0 of the Handbook.  Version 4.0 went out as a CD in the fall of 2009 to members at that time, and has about 500 pages of information...it was the first version of the Handbook to have all K-F products covered including several types that were listed in factory information but never produced.  Extra copies were made of 4.0 to go out in New Member Packets for those joining or rejoining since the release.   I would suggest that you contact Deb Wilson, Membership Secretary to see if as a returning member, you would get a New Member Packet.

Version 5.0 has over 1,000 pages of information including scanned copies of hard-to-find Parts List Supplements (including the April 1953 one for 1952 & 1953 model year Kaisers), all the published factory service information on Kaiser-Darrin sports cars & 1954-55 Kaisers (there was no formal shop manual for these vehicles).  Most of the individual automobile types listed were also updated plus other surprises.  It is undergoing beta testing at this time.  Mike Knittel stated that 5.0 would go out sometime in 2013 as an issue of the Quarterly magazine.  All things going as it should, 5.0 could be ready to go to the duplication house before the end of March or early April 2013.

Henry's HenryJs

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 06:56:29 PM »
I have been a member for a couple of years and have not received a new members package that I can remember. Also you speak of quarterly magazines, I only receive the monthly emails. Should I not get any and all the listed items? Lately I emailed one fellow and he said the fellow involved in sending some things out was ill and that it would be caught up soon, but as I said I have not got anything in years, Henry.
2-51 HenryJ's, 57 wagon 408"BB with 14' Bonair travel trailer,71 Nova 355"SB, 07 2500HD with 26.5 Prowler 5th wheel travel trailer, CDN coordinator for ChevyTalk
http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=h

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 07:28:30 PM »
You aren't the only one that never received a new member packet or any version of the handbook. I've been waiting since May of 2010 for that. I do receive the Quarterly and the calendar but I would love to have the handbook. It's tough to get written info for my 54 Manhattan since I am try to restore it.

custom

• View Profile
    • Email
'48 Kaiser Custom
'49 Kaiser Vagabond

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2013, 07:43:43 AM »
Sending out new member packets--including a copy of the 4.0 Handbook--is the responsibility of the Membership Secretary, or at least that is what I was told by the Club President.  However, it is possible that the copies leftover after the fall 2009 mailing may have been exhausted already.

The Handbook was intended to be released to members only as a "perk" for being a club member.  Version 5.0 is the first version to contain all the factory-issued service information on the Kaiser Darrin and the 1954-55 Kaisers (there were no shop manuals as such for these cars) as well as the Engineering Department's "big board" covering all the running changes put into the Darrin once production started and what specific car numbers got the changes as retrofits (added to the cars after they were built) at the factory or the company garage.     

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 11:29:17 AM »
Thank you "Custom" for the site to view the handbook. It is interesting reading but it is thin on 54 info. Thank you again.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2013, 06:37:50 AM »
If the Membership Secretary is out of Version 4.0 I can make copies of 4.0 off my master for $5.00 which covers the cost of a blank CD, mailer and postage.  You need to provide your name, address and member number.  Copies will not be run off for anyone not a member of the club (see my earlier comment about the Handbook CD, this thread).

Please note that, as stated in the information on the CD (both 4.0 and 5.0) the material on the Handbook CD (these editions) was copyrighted by me and that I gave the members of this club free use of material for research and reference as noted in the statement on the CD. 
« Last Edit: February 01, 2013, 07:30:47 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2013, 03:49:35 PM »
Thanks Jack. That is a very reasonable offer and indeed this information is greatly appreciated and under priced. I will email you my details privately.