Author Topic: Seeking advice to restore '53 All Vinyl Dragon  (Read 5754 times)

fowens

• View Profile
    • Email
Seeking advice to restore '53 All Vinyl Dragon
« on: July 08, 2012, 10:15:32 AM »
My son & I are slowly restoring "Henry" the Family Heirloom, a '53 Holly Mist Green all vinyl Dragon.  Engine, brakes, etc. are done.  Now it's time for cosmetics. 
(1)  Need source for white "poplin" vinyl for the top, as well as rubber seals for windshield & backlight.  And most important, any advice about how to do this job!  Upholstery shop said they would glue edges at drip rail.  Is that a good idea? 
(2)  Source for carpets, interior &  trunk.  The rest of the interior is in surprisingly good condition. 
(3)  All those gold bits on hood, trunk, & fenders are pitted and/or painted.  I shudder to think of the cost, but ...  Can you recommend someone who can do it?  Any idea of the cost?? 
(4)  One more thing, the driver's side wiper floats above the glass [not much help!]  Can I just replace the spring at the base of the arm? 

Many thanks for any and all tips! 
Fred Owens
My direct email is <fowens@fandm.edu>

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Seeking advice to restore '53 All Vinyl Dragon
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:10:49 PM »
I'm interested in this as I will want to restore my '53 Dragon at some point, and it sounds like it will need a lot of the same things yours does, although the vinyl on mine is still in new-looking condition.  But my gold plated items are just like yours, and I'd like to know a price on those.  As for vinyl, SMS does a good job from what I've seen on other members' cars.  I don't know if they have the poplin, though.  I am curious as to a carptet source as well.  The Dragons had a thicker carpet, and I dont' know where you could get it.  For the bambu vinyl trim on the carpet edges, I think you could get material from SMS and have an upholstery shop apply it, again, provided you could find the correct style of carpet.  Does Rudy Philips have the rubber for windshield and backlight?  I know he has door weatherstrip as I've bought form from him.  Keep us updated, because I am really interested to know parts sources and costs.  best of luck!

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 11:46:39 AM »
I'm interested in this as I will want to restore my '53 Dragon at some point, and it sounds like it will need a lot of the same things yours does, although the vinyl on mine is still in new-looking condition.  But my gold plated items are just like yours, and I'd like to know a price on those.  As for vinyl, SMS does a good job from what I've seen on other members' cars.  I don't know if they have the poplin, though.  I am curious as to a carptet source as well.  The Dragons had a thicker carpet, and I dont' know where you could get it.  For the bambu vinyl trim on the carpet edges, I think you could get material from SMS and have an upholstery shop apply it, again, provided you could find the correct style of carpet.  Does Rudy Philips have the rubber for windshield and backlight?  I know he has door weatherstrip as I've bought form from him.  Keep us updated, because I am really interested to know parts sources and costs.  best of luck!

Logan ,

What Color Combination is Your Dragon?  If All Vinyl,  Please PM Me with details ?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:49:18 AM by G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon) »
Research on All Vinyl Dragons & Dragon List.
G.B. Bonham LM  K.F.O.C. Club.
Also: Vintage Electronics, TV, Stereo, Radio, & Broadcasting.
Looking for Kaye Halbert TV, 27 inch screen mid 50's
made in Culver City, Calif.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 12:55:18 PM »
No, mine is not all vinyl.  It is black bambu vinyl with black on white laguna cloth inserts, although those inserts were replaced at some time with a cheap, plain white vinyl material.  I will want to try to get the laguna cloth.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 07:23:27 PM »
MY AV DRAGON IS !!!DONE!! Mine was the FIRST Dragon to get the new Bambu and Boucle ,material from SMS I worked with Mr. Pollack to get the stuff so i was first, and the Green with the random stripe was the BIG hold up until i got an  engineering drawing to him.  he also has my silk screen negative and positive to make the Marie Nichols Laguna cloth,  Gerald Bonham  is where I got my top material, Ideal chrome Plating is where I got the Chrome and gold plating done, Larry Barker can help there. SMS is where i got my CAL POINT CARPET using my pattern  from the original carpet. when I bought the vinyl it was $90.00 per yard X 26 combined yards the carpet for the interior was $400.00 the trunk was $175.00 the chrome  & Gold was North of $3000.- Had the car at the San Diego meet , Took Gold, took it to Chico  Ca.Butte Creek  Estates Country Club ccca meet and won first in catigory 1944-1954 american manufacturer

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2012, 12:03:26 PM »
MY AV DRAGON IS !!!DONE!! Mine was the FIRST Dragon to get the new Bambu and Boucle ,material from SMS I worked with Mr. Pollack to get the stuff so i was first, and the Green with the random stripe was the BIG hold up until i got an  engineering drawing to him.  he also has my silk screen negative and positive to make the Marie Nichols Laguna cloth,  Gerald Bonham  is where I got my top material, Ideal chrome Plating is where I got the Chrome and gold plating done, Larry Barker can help there. SMS is where i got my CAL POINT CARPET using my pattern  from the original carpet. when I bought the vinyl it was $90.00 per yard X 26 combined yards the carpet for the interior was $400.00 the trunk was $175.00 the chrome  & Gold was North of $3000.- Had the car at the San Diego meet , Took Gold, took it to Chico  Ca.Butte Creek  Estates Country Club ccca meet and won first in category 1944-1954 American manufacturer

Folks,
This AV Dragon is a # One Good Job Showing that SMS     http://www.smsautofabrics.com/        can reproduce to Original Quality the pattern.
Thanks to Dusty finding someone that can do good reproduction for Everything to re due Your Dragon even if not an All Vinyl.
They do the Laguna cloth & the carpets.

The Vinyl as You can see (We are not misspelling the Names) Bambu, Boucle, & for the Sport Top Poplin = Calvery twill used on the Green -White Top AV Dragons is to a peak of fine Quality.
The Vinyl pattern was one thing. But Dusty worked with SMS till Dye & 4-5 shades of Green in the Bambu was perfect.

Keep up the Good Work.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2012, 12:06:29 PM »
MY AV DRAGON IS !!!DONE!! Mine was the FIRST Dragon to get the new Bambu and Boucle ,material from SMS I worked with Mr. Pollack to get the stuff so i was first, and the Green with the random stripe was the BIG hold up until i got an  engineering drawing to him.  he also has my silk screen negative and positive to make the Marie Nichols Laguna cloth,  Gerald Bonham  is where I got my top material, Ideal chrome Plating is where I got the Chrome and gold plating done, Larry Barker can help there. SMS is where i got my CAL POINT CARPET using my pattern  from the original carpet. when I bought the vinyl it was $90.00 per yard X 26 combined yards the carpet for the interior was $400.00 the trunk was $175.00 the chrome  & Gold was North of $3000.- Had the car at the San Diego meet , Took Gold, took it to Chico  Ca.Butte Creek  Estates Country Club ccca meet and won first in category 1944-1954 American manufacturer

Folks,
This AV Dragon is a # One Good Job Showing that SMS     http://www.smsautofabrics.com/        can reproduce to Original Quality Vinyl the patterns.
Thanks to Dusty finding someone that can do good reproduction for Everything to re due Your Dragon even if not an All Vinyl.

The Vinyl as You can see (We are not misspelling the Names) Bambu, Boucle, & for the Sport Top Poplin = (Calvery twill Name used by Vinyl Folk) used on the Green - White Top AV Dragons is to a peak of fine Quality.

The Vinyl pattern was one thing. But Dusty worked with SMS till Dye & 4-5 shades of Green in the Bambu was perfect. Worked hard on the pattern of Laguna Cloth.

Keep up the Good Work.

G.B. (All Vinyl Dragon)

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2012, 12:08:40 PM »

Folks,
This AV Dragon is a # One Good Job Showing that SMS     http://www.smsautofabrics.com/   (Look under Feature Product)     can reproduce to Original Quality Vinyl the patterns.

The Vinyl as You can see (We are not misspelling the Names) Bambu, Boucle, & for the Sport Top Poplin = (Calvery twill Name used by Vinyl Folk) used on the Green - White Top AV Dragons is to a peak of fine Quality.

The Vinyl pattern was one thing. But Dusty worked with SMS till Dye & 4-5 shades of Green in the Bambu was perfect. Worked hard on the pattern of Laguna Cloth as well.

Keep up the Good Work.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 03:49:47 PM »
Congrats on finishing it!  Do you have any pictures?  I would love to see how it turned out, especially the Laguna Cloth, as I have never seen a reproduction of that before.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2012, 10:37:47 PM »
MY DRAGON IS THE ALL VINYL ONE Holly Green w/ correct vinyl top I have lots of pictures but do not know how to present them to the forum , only E-MAIL mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com