Author Topic: Virginian #612 Last Call - Rear Glass and Trim  (Read 1866 times)

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
Virginian #612 Last Call - Rear Glass and Trim
« on: January 20, 2013, 06:07:25 PM »
Jim L,
I know I owe you some parts. I will get this compiled this week and sent off. Ask Rudy or Randy O I am good for it. Actually I think I can still remove some of the Virginian only trim parts for you without getting Tetenus (sp). 

The 2 rea glass corners are on ebay. The rear OUTSIDE stainless trim is on ebay.

What is the method for removal of the rear ash receiver?  I don't see an easy way and Gary G wants it.

Any other parts requests get them in now. The rear glass removal was tough and I don't want to mess with the remains any longer. But I will if someone needs parts. All parts, except that on ebay now, are $1 plus shipping.

In removal of the rear 3 piece glass set, I was successful in removal of them. I carefully picked them up, went to put them down and the set slipped about 2 inches above the concrete floor of my garage. The center piece shattered into a million pieces.

The 2 side pieces are pristine, not cracked, still include their stainless strips which may have protected them.  They are tinted.

I won't say what will happen if no one wants them. The removal was complicated and took up about 7 hours of my life I won't get back.

Shipping will be by my expensive but excellent shipper. I was told these curved side glass pieces are prone to breakage and UNOBTAINIUM.   I won't store them.  I pay more for what I am asking for these for much lesser GM stuff I need. Geez. 
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Virginian #612 Last Call - Rear Glass and Trim
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 06:34:33 PM »
A secret to removing glass and getting it out without cracking is to lay several very wet towels on it for a few hours before removal. Old glass dries out and gets very brittle and even the slightest bend outside of it's "set" will cause it to crack. I've had success in removing 51-5K windshields and back glass with this method.

I looked at pulling the rear glass out of the 51F hardtop I had but decided that I would definitely have done it major damage. Congrats on getting yours out (but sorry to hear of the center section's demise).

Yes, let me know what your sending and what I owe you.

Thanks

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:10:08 AM »
I was VERY surprised that that center piece shattered into a gazillion pieces.  It showed NO evidence of issues in the removal and was not overly heavy.   When I say drop, I mean I had the entire piece grasped with 2 hands. Rather then bend over (my back) I bent my legs. I was literally 2 inches above the concrete floor of my heated garage.  That's another point I failed to make. The entire car was 68 degrees, not 10 degrees as it would be in an unheated garage.

It was the strangest thing I've seen in a long time. I could see developing a crack by my negligence but BAM, it broke into so many tiny pieces.  I then carefully checked the UNOBTAINIUM side pieces and they are fine. 
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 08:21:01 PM »
I did one better. I bought a new Cadillac and not 2 days into ownership, broke the windshield. Something fell down between it and the wiper and when I tried to fish it out with a plastic vacuum tube, I heard this snap and watched the glass crack from bottom to top. Fortunately, a new stick of glass is only $200...but it was an expensive lesson...

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2013, 12:07:42 PM »
So far no bids on the rear glass. Only 1 person watching!  Ouch.  The outside trim will sell, for $15. 
No old cars owned.

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2013, 10:30:24 AM »
Virginian is gone, to be crushed.  I have a shelf full of parts that I will be throwing away tonight, heater blower motor, etc, those strange brake shoes.   Threw away 6 perfectly good 49-50 Kaiser taillamps (red glass?)  These must hold up well because I had none in my collection that were cracked or even scratched.

No old cars owned.