Author Topic: 53K front mat colors  (Read 1782 times)

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
53K front mat colors
« on: March 29, 2013, 09:48:44 PM »
I am in late restoration stages of a '53 Manhattan-sabre jet blue over Australian beige, dark brown and tan vinyl interior. I bought one of the manufac fund front black carpets, and am trying to figure out what color to make it. Unfortunately the old one got pitched long ago. My recollect is that it was sort of muddy tan, but the back carpet was/is dark brown. Looking in the parts books, the only '53 front carpet listed that is at all a brown hue is "hickory brown."  Looking at what old pix I can find, I see a darkish brown carpet in '53's, as well as in older models. In fact even the older ones list hickory as a color.  In those pix where I can see the back carpet as well, it seems to be the same tint as the front, and much darker than I remember mine having been when I acquired it in '58.

Can anyone offer any enlightenment here? Haven't been able to find anything in any of the books. I guess the default would be to match the rear carpet, and assume the old one was some sort of a later addition as opposed to original.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 53K front mat colors
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 12:24:18 AM »
If your car has 3-speed manual or overdrive, you will find the list of colors in the 1952-53 Kaiser Parts List Supplement book; if the car has Hydra-Matic, you need to look in the K-53 Parts List Hydra-Matic Supplement.   Colors listed are Oriental Green, Gaiety Blue, Persian Gray, Black or Hickory Brown for each, but the H-D mat is slightly different in shape and detail than the manual transmission versions (and have different parts numbers)

The 1952-53 Kaiser supplement (later edition) and the 1953 H-D supplement will be found in KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 5.0.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 11:36:28 PM »
So by default it must have been hickory brown. Anyone have a pic, recollect, etc, of what sort of shade that was?

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 06:48:09 PM »
Here is a sorta picture of the floor mat in our 53 K manhattan ... Australian Beige over Copper Dust Metallic.
Might be the color you are looking for.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 06:51:42 PM by pnw_oldmags »
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »
Jim-thanks for the pic. Is likely the same, and resembles what I recall. How does it compare in color to your rear carpet?

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 08:42:45 PM »
The rear carpet was a multiple colored "horse hair".  Very dense color heavy to a darker brown with flexes of blues and greens as I remember

'
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com