Author Topic: HJ Convertable  (Read 1695 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
HJ Convertable
« on: March 01, 2013, 12:44:15 PM »
I am not a fan of J rods or convertables,but this one from the Turkey Run at Ormand beach is one of the better ones.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: HJ Convertable
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 03:59:04 PM »
Kaiser-Frazer did some work along the lines of getting a convertible into production but lack of money (and lack of interest in terms of car sales after the 1951 model year) killed the program.

The most interesting concept that I saw appeared in a 1951 or early 1952 issue of MOTOR TREND magazine.  MT ran a contest for readers dealing with what people thought a HJ convertible might be like and offered a cash prize in an amount the magazine thought a regular 2-door sedan might be converted for.  The winner based his concept on the Nash Rambler platform in that the center section of the roof was removed and the window frames for doors and rear seat passengers remained.  Tracks were set up along the inside of the frames and the top would be manually pulled up and would lock near the center peak of the windshield area (like I say, use the set up of the Nash Rambler's top in 1951 to see how the mechanics would work). 

Unfortunately the only MT issue I have at present referring to the contest mentions the contest would end soon.  All too many years ago though, I did see the issue presenting the winning idea.

Kris_51henry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013, 01:05:07 AM »
That thing is hideous!  But that's just my personal opinion.  I did find a wagon (not the black woodie one) on the internet somewhere that was perfect.  Will post a pic if I can find it again.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2013, 11:10:17 AM »
Has the track been widened?  I ususally DO like the modified J's, but I have to agree with Kris--it's not very good looking.

aeroj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 09:00:23 PM »
.. I dont like that..and  Im not sure who would.. 

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 11:45:17 AM »
Could'nt pay me to own it either. Only posted it to show what's Happening. HenryJs forever!
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.