Author Topic: amp light comes on while in idle  (Read 1349 times)

bearman

• View Profile
    • Email
amp light comes on while in idle
« on: March 26, 2013, 01:49:30 PM »
This hasn't happened until today.  While my '53 Henry J is idling, the amp light is on, but once I press the throttle (and drive), it goes out.  I'm assuming this means the idle on the carburetor needs adjusting?  Or does it mean the generator is unhappy?  Thanks.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: amp light comes on while in idle
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2013, 02:54:31 PM »
As long as the car doesn't idle for a prolonged period, I wouldn't sorry about the amp light. It simply means that the generator isn't turning fast enough to handle the voltage being used by the engine and any accessories. Sometimes, cleaning the commutator on the generator helps as it gives the brushes a fresh surface to work. Also, make sure the belt is tight, a loose belt will allow the generator to slip and not charge as it should.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2013, 03:11:59 PM »
According to the Owners Manuals the generator light could go on or flicker at idle, especially on the 1951-52 Vagabond.  As long as it goes out when you start moving and get up to speed it can be OK as Jim suggests; for peace of mind you could tweak the idle up just a bit but only enough to get the generator light off (with headlights on bright) or flicker just a bit.

You may also want to check your system grounds and give them a cleaning of they look corroded;the crud can impede current flow.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2013, 04:25:57 PM »
It is completely normal. Be careful if you raise the idle above the specs. It can cause grinding  going from neutral to 1st
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

bearman

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2013, 10:27:44 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the good responses.  I love this Forum!