Author Topic: Change to automatic?  (Read 3309 times)

j762538

• View Profile
    • Email
Change to automatic?
« on: March 01, 2009, 11:36:36 AM »
I just bought a 2 door Kaiser Traveler, a little rusty but all there, 3 speed with overdrive. Replaced the shift rod bushings but still having trouble with the shifting and the wife would like an automatic, What would it take to change? Front crossmember, crankshaft, etc?
51 Kaiser Deluxe Traveler 2 door
54 Kaiser Early Special 4 door

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Change to automatic?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 12:40:05 PM »
Crankshafts are different. That's why the engine and tranny are usually removed/installed as a unit.  I cannot recall exactly what the difference is. A note I had written earlier: Note: The difference between a Kaiser stick shift and automatic relative to match up of the transmission with the engine is in the crankshaft. For one (cannot recall which one) a hole needs to be drilled to accommodate "something."
« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 12:42:11 PM by Doc »
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 03:21:42 PM »
Hello
   I have converted a couple of 50's cars usually from automatics to standards when I was a lot younger. The easiest way is to have a "donor car" because there always some little part that person needs to complete the project.  Usually the differential has a different ratio for the automatic than the standard transmission.
 I would suspect that the sycomesh rings in the standard are worn and a rebuild would be a good idea.
    Roger

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 08:05:42 AM »
A company we have dealt with in the past sells a kit to install a turbo 350 behind all 226's. We have used there kits and the quality is excellent. You can't go wrong with new parts.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/index.htm

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2009, 01:11:48 PM »
That is probably the way to go.  Those early Hydramatics were ok but nothing to brag about!
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2009, 09:16:20 AM »
Am I correct in assuming one would still need the proper crankshaft to change over to the modern automatic? I know the cranks are different in std versus hydramatics for KF
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

Orphanauto

• View Profile
    • www.orphanauto.webs.com
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2009, 12:26:22 PM »
The simple solution is to teach your wife how to drive a stick ( this is what I am doing with our 53 Manhattan ) or even better, another reason why you need to buy another Kaiser, you need to get a automatic too.  :) , seriously, I would leave it as is, so much work, and look around for a automatic, then sell this one to get that one, or keep this and buy the automatic, which is what I really would do.
1953 Kaiser Manhattan 4-door

j762538

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2009, 12:54:52 PM »
I am working on finding someone to rebuild or a rebuilt one first. $895 for the adaptor is a bit much.
51 Kaiser Deluxe Traveler 2 door
54 Kaiser Early Special 4 door

jreeder41

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2009, 01:42:06 PM »
Am I correct in assuming one would still need the proper crankshaft to change over to the modern automatic? I know the cranks are different in std versus hydramatics for KF

I can't answer for certain, but probably not. Everything he makes is for direct bolt up. He probably sends an adapter for the crankshaft.