Author Topic: Starter problems  (Read 2054 times)

glen

• View Profile
    • Email
Starter problems
« on: April 07, 2009, 01:57:54 PM »
Hi,
Having problems starting my '53 Dragon with auto trans.
Whenever starting, it feels like I`m trying to get it going with a dying battery but I switched batteries and the same result.
My retired mechanic says the starter will not engage the ring gear all the way and needs to travel an extra 1/4 " to fully connect.
It engages on the outside of the ring gear and is cutting into the teeth.
I read that there is a different motor for automatic transmissions and I`m not sure if this is the original engine.
Any ideas on starting.
I have a '51 DeLuxe as well and not having any real problems.
Thanks
Glen

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Starter problems
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »
According to the 1955 edition of "Motor's Auto Repair Manual"  the 1953-55 Kaisers with Hydramatic used a Delco-Remy 1107126 starter. It also states the 1953-55 Kaiser with standard transmission used a Delco-Remy 110725 so your friend is correct, they are different. Check the tag on the one you have.
Another problem that is often overlooked, and can cause hard starting, is battery cables with the incorrect gauge. Six volt systems used a 1 gauge wire where most 12 volt systems use a 2 gauge wire which is half the thickness. If someone replaced the cables due to corrosion, and replaced them with 2 gauge, you will experience hard starting. I always get 1 gauge cables at a tractor outlet near me, or if you want truly authentic cables, you can order them at http://www.antiqueautobattery.com/
But, check the number on the tag on the starter and see if it is a Delco-Remy 1107126 - if not, that's most likely your problem.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 10:51:21 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

glen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2009, 06:49:20 PM »
Thank you for the info.
It could possibly be the cause of the problem.
I`ll have my mechanic check into your suggestions !

47trev

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2009, 07:44:00 PM »
I took my starter out and when i put it back in had the same issue as you. I went and had it rebuilt at the local shop and its worked great ever since.