Author Topic: 52-53 Tail light gaskets to body?  (Read 2007 times)

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
52-53 Tail light gaskets to body?
« on: May 26, 2013, 12:13:30 AM »
Anyone bought or know anything about the fit of these sold by the Manufacturing Fund?  I have 2 people looking for them to restore their cars.  One spoke to Rudy and the discussion was "they were not fitting well; had to to heated and stretched, etc."  I don't know if Rudy was speaking about the Mfg Fund ones or some that he had.

Anyone have any knowledge?  I know the fund is having the rear vent window rubbers retooled due to fit problems but hadn't heard anything about these??   ???

Mike
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: 52-53 Tail light gaskets to body?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 07:04:57 AM »
I installed the mfg fund units without issue on my 53.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 03:49:55 PM »
Thanks Jim!!!  Has that been recently or a few years back when you reassembled your 53?  I'm curious about current inventory and ensuring there's no problem.  The rear vent window rubbers used to fit perfectly as well until fairly recently...for some reason, Metro either got sloppy, changed the mold, or something.  I know Adam's on it!  The club sure needs these rear vent window rubbers.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

mark nathenson

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 05:46:07 PM »
Personally I have had nothing but problems with Metro rubber products on my 63 Buick Riviera. I not only had almost immediate failures with the window
weatherstrip and the door seals lack a critical mechanical attaching point and the material they use is too soft and fragile. Steele rubber is closer to oem standards.
Mark

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:53:10 PM »
I've had nothing but trouble with the parts that are being reproduced in China. Not just with KF parts but all. The tolerances and materials are always off just enough to make installation a very miserable experience. I can't speak for these particular gaskets but this has been my experience with everything else. The wheel cylinders were really a nightmare - not useable in my experience. I took the pistons/innards out and installed them in the original cylinders and that worked but you could not install the entire assembly.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 09:55:06 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »
I had the (K) Kaiser keys reproduced in Taiwan Republic of China and the keys and other parts turned out Perfect to the OEM sample i sent. measurements and material specs were dead on. I was warned to not use mainline China due to All the things you mentioned