Author Topic: 52 Kaiser Convertible  (Read 4744 times)

dowe40utah

• View Profile
    • Email
52 Kaiser Convertible
« on: May 30, 2013, 11:27:30 AM »
Does anyone know if there is a top manufacturer for a 52 Kaiser Convertible (see attached photo).  EZon top and Robbins don't list Kaiser.  Is there an equivalent car that would cross reference to this car?  I have the hardware for the top and suppose I could take it to a top installer and they could make a pattern and a custom top, but the cost would be double ($2,200).
Thanks for your help.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 52 Kaiser Convertible
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 12:06:40 PM »
As noted in recent forum postings on this particular car this is a regular 2-door sedan with its top cut off.  There were no 1951 or later model year Kaiser convertibles as a factory offering so there are no replacement tops...you have to have it made special and there is no pattern to work off of.  Also, since there was no top mechanism (motor, bows, etc) the top will have to be fitted to whatever mechanism you are going to install. 

I would be more concerned about the unanswered questions on prior postings regarding the need to have the underpinnings reinforced to compensate for the loss of the top.  The remains of the body will flex on the road unless it's properly braced and secured.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2013, 02:46:42 PM »
What "hardware for the top" do you have?  Is this custom made?  As kaiserfrazerlibrary said, there is no kaiser factory top hardware.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »
A top should be easy for any upholstery shop to make up but first you need to brace that frame, install a top folding mechanism with attaching parts for the windshield and install operable side windows from a hard top or convertible.  The top is the easy part.  Many similar cars like yours with the top removed are considered "parade cars" and have no top or side windows and that might be a way for you to go for now but you really need to re-inforce the frame before you lose everything to metal fatigue.  The windshield post strength needs to be checked also as if it is not strong enough the windshields will break.  You have a good looking car as is and if you get the mechanical parts in order you can have a lot of fun with it and plan the difficult top installation at a later date.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
If you have a good heater and blower, you don't need a top!
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

dowe40utah

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 01:14:24 AM »
The mechanism is supposed to be from a 54 Chev.  On closer inspection it looks like the doors are sagging so it definitely needs some reinforcing.  Is this expensive or can my local mechanic figure it out?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2013, 06:42:54 AM »
Reinforcing the body isn't all that hard. A good body man will first get everything back to "square" and then add bracing where needed. Back in the day, we did it with an Oldsmobile 88 we turned into a convertible. Some angle iron, flat stock and a welder and we were able to reduce body flex where the doors would no longer pop open when you went around a corner. That was an important improvement!

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2013, 09:11:51 AM »
When K-F built there convertibles for sale (1949-50 Kaiser Deluxe and 1949-51 Frazer Manhattans) they put in an extra cross member and a special steel bracket directly behind the front seat and running across the interior floor (it was chromed to look fancy) which attached to floor and the center pillars (they were 4-doors).  The Kaisers 1951 and later model years used an X-frame rather than the full perimeter channel type (as used on many Chrysler Corporation cars of the period) so your body person would have to work out something different.

If you have access to a good body shop that's done a lot of custom and hot-rod type work they should be able to engineer something that will work well. 

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 12:47:15 PM »
My '51 convertible has had extra steel bars welded to the bottom of the main frame under the body.  It is not too pretty but seems to do the job well as the car was customized over forty years ago and there seems to be no problem with the way the doors hang and open and close.  You could have that done with "L" shaped angle iron for not too much money and it will really stiffen up your car and prevent doors opening when you go over railroad tracks and go around corners.  That was a real problem for the 1949 new Fords but it was corrected when the new 1950's came out.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

dowe40utah

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 01:08:19 AM »
I am attaching a diagram of the frame from a Kaiser manual found online.  Where would you suggest that the reinforcing should be as you look at the diagram?  I talked to my mechanic and he can weld some steel reinforcement but would like some guidance from you experts.  I'm attaching the picture of the car also.  Thanks.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 11:04:31 AM »
My car has had 1/4 inch steel plate welded to the bottom of the frame under the entire area where the body sits on the frame.  It was all done on the bottom of the frame while the body was attached to the frame.  It worked well.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

dowe40utah

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2013, 12:40:51 AM »
Thanks for this good information.  I will talk to my mechanic about it.

dowe40utah

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2013, 01:14:23 AM »
What would be the value (range) if this car had a new top, was properly braced and had the back seat re-upholstered to match the front seat?  It is original except for the chopped off top.  The car runs and drives reasonably well.  It might need a new clutch.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2013, 06:27:04 AM »
At this point, if I had this project in my lap, I'd be more concerned about wether or not the whole thing would work.  K-F engineers used the Club Coupe/Business Coupe body for the Kaiser Californian K5122 convertible development because the coupe had more rear deck space than the sedan (check out trunk hinges relative to the rear window location...you will find more rear deck space with the Coupe) and that gave better access to space for the back seat and the top mechanism.  If you haven't done so already, I would suggest you put the rear seat back in this car to see how much space you have for the top and the top mechanism just to make sure it will clear properly when the thing goes up and down.  You may find the seat back may not fit right if my guess is right as to how much space the top will need.

As for cost, it's virtually impossible to figure out what the car might be worth as finished.  First, you don't know at this point how much money you will put into it and what the finished car will be like.    Second, as this is not a factory prototype or other factory special build car, it would be treated much the same as a customized production car.   
While I am not a factory stylist or body DRE (Design Responsible Engineer as they care called at GM) I have been around this business long enough to have some insight.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2013, 06:43:43 AM by kaiserfrazerlibrary »