Author Topic: Installing Air Conditioning  (Read 1276 times)

steve375

• View Profile
    • Email
Installing Air Conditioning
« on: June 25, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »
I am considering purchasing a 1952 Henry J Vagabond. I live in Texas so one of the items one must have leaving in this state is AC. I am trying to determine if the car I would be purchasing operates with a 6 volt battery. I am assuming it probably does. I understand all after market ACs operate with a 12 volt battery. How do you convert the Henry J to operate with a 12 volt battery without burning up gauges and other components in the car? Please walk me through the conversion process. Also, will I need a bigger radiator so the car doesn't overheat when I have the AC installed? Whatever advice you can offer on these issues and perhaps others that I haven't thought of would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to all those who choose to respond regarding this topic.
Steve375

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Installing Air Conditioning
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 10:05:07 AM »
Yes you can do ir. It is a lot of work and do not start if you don't have the time to learn and do the work. No one is available to finish a half done project.

12 volt conversion(lots of ways, here's one)
12 volt denso mini one wire alternator $100, ,Battery $100,voltage dropping diodes for gauges$10 ,replace all bulbs $80,Overdrive conversion (you will get a world of different opinions, this is how I did it) Convert solenoid to 12 volts using 56 or later coil and body and 6 volt plunger, new 12 volt relay $10.

A.C.
I include photos of an actual A.C  installation on a 4 cyl. HJ.

You will have  to fabricate you own A.C. bracket, none are available.

The A.C. compressor goes where the generator used to be and the alternator mounts on a bracket secured to the head

The Cooling unit mounts in the trunk with the vents coming through the package shelf.

I can not give you details as I have nt made an A.C. conversion myself, to much work.

Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 10:07:08 AM »
other photos
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:09:07 AM »
Las note .
The 12 volt conversion is not a big deal. The A.C. will call for a lot of trial and error.
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 10:48:14 AM »
I guess "must have" is subjective.  I lived in Texas for 8 years and drove my '53 Dragon regularly during the summer with no AC.  Yes, it is hot, but it is bearable.  Open the vent wings and the fresh air intakes and you do cool off some.  That said, I don't blame you for wanting to install AC in your Henry J.  Incidentally, I recently moved to Virginia, and everyone warned me about the hot summers.  When I said Texas is hotter, they said, yes, but not humid!  Most people envision all of Texas as El Paso: dry and desert.  But central Texas is just as humid as it is here--and hotter!