Author Topic: Electric fuel pump or " cool can"  (Read 3927 times)

51kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
Electric fuel pump or " cool can"
« on: July 18, 2013, 06:58:20 PM »
I've read a lot of posts here concerning vapor lock and electric pumps but I see nothing on the cool can method. Performance cars use them a lot. I'm looking for some advice on which method I should use. For anyone not familiar with the cool can, it's basically a coffee can with the fuel line coiled around the inner wall of the can where you dump ice (dry or regular) in the center, cooling the fuel before it gets to the carb.   
 As far as electric goes, Kaisers are negative ground, so how would you properly wire the pump? I have an AC Delco part # ep11 ( same as airtex # E8011) and a simple toggle switch. My thought on the electric would be to use it as a primer for starting and to avoid vapor lock in traffic ( parades) and such, whaddya think?

kaiserkid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Electric fuel pump or " cool can"
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 07:51:06 PM »
Kaisers are Positive ground. The idea of a cool can would work for short trips, but the under hood temps would melt the ice quickly unless you use an insulted cooler. Long trips would be bothersome with the refilling of the can and dumping the water. Using a carb spacer, such as phenolic would be a better choice. In the past I did the old school trick of using a wood spacer.

51kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 07:56:59 PM »
typo, yes of course positive ground, hence my confusion on the wiring. I totally agree, short trips only for cool can, but then again I dont take her on long road trips. The spacer I have not heard of before, how does that help?

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 01:29:52 AM »
I have the EP11 pump on my 51 Kaiser Deluxe, inside the frame above rear wheel.   It pushes the fuel to the mechanical pump.  I switch it on when I feel vapor lock starting, or just as you said, to prime if the car has been sitting.  The pump Is a pass through pump and does not need to be on all the time.

The idea of the wood spacers, is the wood absorbs the heat.  Same idea as clothes pins on the gas line, the heat goes to wood and dissipates.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

51kaiser

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 01:16:09 PM »
Dave, thank you, That's exactly what I was hoping to hear, how did you wire your pump? positive wire grounded to frame and negative to negative @ battery via toggle switch? or............

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 10:18:42 PM »
51Kaiser, Be sure to put a inline fuse between the toggle switch and battery to protect
the circuit. Mount it close to the battery connection to protect the entire circuit.

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 12:24:21 AM »
The wooden spacer between the carb and manifold is a great idea which was also told to me by a guy who drives his stock 1949 Ford everywhere.  He said it's an old hot rodder's trick.  I simply used a much thicker gasket and it seems to have achieved the same result.  No Vapor Lock problems so far this summer!  No alcohol fuel also helps, but here it is kinda tough to find, and is expensive when you do.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

BigDave LM6174

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 12:36:27 AM »
The pump was connected positive ground.  If i recall correctly, it will work either way.  Make sure you use a fuse between switch and pump and a filter between tank and pump. 
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1958 Carry All Trailer

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 10:46:57 AM »
51kaiser: If you do a search in the upper left corner put in "fuel pump" under subject and then
pick "general discussion" and "kaiser" and posting by "boatingbill" you will see a post where I
talk about pictures for installing a electric fuel pump. Click on that "fuel pump install guide" and
pictures and parts list will show up. It is easy to do, I did it about a year ago.

BigDave LM6174

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 11:34:15 AM »
51Kaiser, my 51 Kaiser is stored in the attic of our garage with a 4 post car lift.  Here is a picture of my set up.  Has worked great for last 9 years.  Change filter about every 2 years.  This pump resolves all vapor lock.  I have driven the car across desert in 115 degrees and only problem I had was my sweating with no air.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1958 Carry All Trailer

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 01:11:29 PM »
Look at that...a Kaiser frame with no rust! What I wouldn't give for one with no east coast corrosion!

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 07:55:49 PM »
Should of bought my 54 Joe ! :)
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 08:15:18 AM »
Believe me...I thought about it, but already have a blue/white 54. That, and I just bought a second 47K meant there was no more room for another car...not to mention no more discretionary cash in the bank account!

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 08:30:44 PM »
I know what you mean, was just teasing you......am there myself....but the two 54's would of made a great pair !
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman