Author Topic: Reproduction '54 Aero upper tail light lenses  (Read 3527 times)

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
Reproduction '54 Aero upper tail light lenses
« on: July 20, 2013, 04:03:15 PM »
Been eyeing these on Mercado, decided to buy a set and see how good they are. Nice at a glance but there are some issues. The "flange" and "lug" that locks into the metal housing aren't very crisp but look like they could be tuned up with some file work. They are also a couple millimeters smaller in each dimension when compared to a NOS lens. The little round clear reflector inside isn't there but it's reflective pattern is cast directly into the lens.  Definitely not as good as an NOS set but far better than faded and cracked lenses.

http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-472452961-par-de-lentes-da-lanterna-traseira-aero-willys-60-61-62-nova-_JM

Fully restored '54 Aero Lark
Rusty '58 Austin Healey 100-Six
Barely running'74 Chevelle Malibu

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Reproduction '54 Aero upper tail light lenses
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 08:20:50 AM »
The Kaiser Carabela, produced in Argentina, used some parts of locally made manufacture. Some of those items, like lenses and die cast parts, were made from molds cast from existing parts rather than from the original molds that originally accounted for the issue. In the casting process a slight amount of shrinkage occurs. It ends up being noticeable in items like lenses...although if you compare the door handles on my 53 to those on my 54, you can tell those on the 54 are ever so slightly smaller.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2013, 09:16:12 PM »
These 1954 lenses also fit the 1955's and the Brazilian Aeros from 1960-1962.
While on the subject of reproduced lenses for the Aero, Lew Retzer has reproduced the 1955 back-up lenses and they look perfect. I have not test fitted them, so cannot speak to that.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 08:53:12 PM »
Yes, that's what I've been seeing on Mercado Livre.

It's fun to search the site, one thing is they use the term Aero Willys  rather than the other way around. Looks like quite a few of the Aero parts from all the Brazil models interchange but the early years you mention look most like our Aeros and are called a Bolinha model.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2013, 10:35:49 PM »
This is not the place for bickering between forum members. The insults should be removed by the moderator.

Meanwhile, the Willys Aero was called "Aero Willys" in Brazil. 1960 models were exact duplicates of 1955 Willys Customs (the Toledo-built four-doors) except they had the F-head engines instead of the Kaiser 226. All had 3-speeds. The 1961's & 1962's had the zig-zag sidetrim stainless steel straightened out, similar to the 1952-1954 Toledo cars. 1963 saw a complete facelift by Brooks Stevens.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

MarkH

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 12:51:55 PM »
I wholly agree that this forum should not be used for personal attacks.

I stop by here from time to time looking at others projects, looking for parts & information and to share information. Imagine my surprise when I recently stopped in and discovered a member falsely impugned my reputation 2 weeks earlier and it was allowed to stand.

Just to make this clear, he's attempted to sully MY reputation for not continuing to negotiate with him for a bumper that he could only produce a photo for that he'd copied off the internet!

I stand behind all my previous posts in this forum, including defending myself against vindictive posts.

I would welcome some moderation in this situation but if not, I don't have a problem with calling it as it is when needed.

As for the Brazilian Aeros, the facelifts dramatically changed the appearance but on closer study, it appears that more of the original stamping profiles were retained than a first impression gives. The series of engine refinements are also very interesting, dual carb head, modern spin on oil filter at the oil pump & matching angled exhaust manifold for clearance. I look for these parts but other than the dual carbs (pricey), they just don't seem to turn up although occasionally a complete engine will. The freight on an engine would be probably be brutal, but to get the additional horsepower the smaller parts would sure be tempting.