Author Topic: ignition switch removal  (Read 1515 times)

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
ignition switch removal
« on: September 21, 2013, 09:48:42 AM »
I need to remove the ignition switch and cigarette lighter to do a little painting on the dash of my 52 J . I don't want to damage them but can't see the back good enough to see how they come out . Any help will be appreciated .

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: ignition switch removal
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 11:43:06 AM »
Reach up behind the dash with your left hand,push the ignition switch firmly forward,it does not rotate when you see daylight between the bezel and the dash,using only your fingers rotate the bexel .Any kind of tool on the bezel will ruin it.

On the lighter ,put your left thumb in the socket and to keep it from rotating,reach up behind the dash with your right hand around the lighter and unscrew the sleeve..
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »
On the lighter, you will want to first disconnect the battery, then disconnect the wire from the  back of it. That wire is  hot all the time so the bat must be disconnected before it is removed.
Then remove per Jims instructions. Be aware that after 60 years, it may not turn easily.
The lighter assembly looks like this if it helps any with the removal
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 09:51:38 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2013, 02:20:34 PM »
O.K. guys . That worked great . You were right about the 60 year thing . It was tough pushing the ignition switch forward . The speedometer cluster was already out so i was able to get the Channel lock pliers on the back of the switch and the dash metal to get a little squeeze to get it started . The bezel turned easy and out it came . The lighter was easy . Just never have done it before .
Thanks again