Author Topic: Email address's in the new rosters  (Read 3759 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Email address's in the new rosters
« on: November 19, 2008, 07:07:15 PM »
Club officers have been discussing the possibility of adding email address's to our new rosters.  Hopefully there will be discussion or an announcement about it in the new Bulletin.  This would be an important addition and advancement that is long overdue and something that we can all use. Please send your information into the club when we are instructed to and lets make our roster even better.  Thanks,  Gordie
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Chris Luecht

• Administrator
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Jaxcham2
    • View Profile
    • Willow Run KF Parts - NOS, NEW, & USED Parts for Kaiser, Frazer, Henry J, & Darrin
    • Email
Re: Email address's in the new rosters
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 11:00:34 PM »
Great idea, that would be a big help. 
Thanks Gordie

Regards,
Chris
Christopher Luecht
KFOCI Life Member LM8866
Webmaster: http://www.kfclub.com
Email: webmaster@kfclub.com

Willow Run KF Parts
http://www.KFparts.com

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:48:43 PM »
The new December Bulletin is online and the membership renewal has a place for email address's.  Please add your email address when you renew and we will all have a modern method for communication.  It will take some time for everyone to get online but this is a great start.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 09:23:33 PM »
You know, there are "Do Not Call" lists and specific call blocking on some telephone services. Those aren't 100% effective but on the other hand I don't know if there is anything as remotely effective for your e-mail. If you get a persistant load of spam e-mail, the best solution I know of is to drop that address and get another. When I did the Directory pages (Remember the small print? It saved 4 to 8 pages when printed) if someone wanted their e-mail address included and specifically told me, I included it. You should be aware that a number of KFOCI members don't even want their telephone numbers to be published. I was particularly concerned about giving away personal information. I particularly became concerned when a member that no one was familar with asked for a COMPLETE electronic copy of the membership directory. My thought was 1600 names at $0.50 to $1.00 a piece when resold. I advised the Secretary at the time that at best the member should be supplied with the names in his region if he could not be specific with his purposes. 
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2009, 07:54:02 AM »
What?
KFOCI #9798

Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »
 I agree with Hj-ETEX it sounds like he's been "around the block (electronic) a few times", and I don't want to leave my self open to any more spam.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:40:15 PM »
If you get an unsolicited email that you do not want it is easy to block that sender from sending any more from that address.  We are one of the last clubs to include email addresses.  If you do not want to be listed do not provide the information but it is a wonderful way to communicate and you provide minimal information to the receiver. 
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 07:40:15 PM »
As usual, criminals, jerks and malcontents have found a way to mess up our fun and convenience.  Why can't we all find a way to mess them up real bad?   ::)
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2009, 04:39:29 PM »
gordie: yes you can block a specific e-mail sender, but 1) a lot of people have not learned how to do that and 2) the bad guys sell e-mail lists to other bad guys so when you block 1, there is another to take its place. However, I agree e-mail is a very good way of communicating with other members (I prefer it over telephone). I don't want to broadcast e-mail addresses. I was getting 8 to 10 spam e-mails everyday until my ISP sold out and resulted in a change of my e-mail address (under the average as a matter of fact). Suddenly, I got NO spam. Basically, unless you are someone I have met in person, if you ask me for my e-mail address you get something at Yahoo, not my ISP.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1963 Kaiser FC170

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2009, 05:29:22 PM »
I used to get lots of spam a few years ago but the providers do a very good job today to filter out spam and I doubt I even get one bad message a month anymore.  The roster is a very important vehicle for providing our members communication to each other and email lets us go at our own pace.  I would much rather get an email than a telephone call which demands immediate attention no matter what you are doing and you may forget important parts of your answer by being rushed.  I have dropped my telephone number from a couple of club rosters recently as I would far rather receive an email.  We are not too important a source for anyone that wants to steal mailing lists.  Some clubs do give the roster information to vendors.  I know that the Studebaker Drivers Club does.  Now that we can email each other I am going to try to get up to five of our cars listed in the roster to try really make our roster useful .  It would be nice know who has a similar car to ours for questions we may have or sources for parts.  What do you think?
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 10:26:45 PM by gordie »
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2009, 06:44:41 PM »
gordie: The SDC is a good example of what NOT to do in a national car club. Sponsored credit cards, commemorative medals, they ask for trophy sponsors, yet charge for judging - charge even if you don't have your car judged (display class!!), national business meetings wasting time over small concerns... That isn't 10% of the issues I could mention. I own more Studes than KF products and I joined the SDC before I joined the KFOCI. 
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1963 Kaiser FC170