Author Topic: Script removal  (Read 1625 times)

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
Script removal
« on: August 25, 2009, 03:50:17 AM »
How do I get the scripts off of a Manhattan fender without breaking them?
Thanks.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Script removal
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 08:38:32 AM »
Hi Terry - one way to do it, is to tap the pins from the back side with a small hammer. That way you drive the pin itself.  Weas and I were at a salvage yard not long ago and he pulled a few off from the front by prying them with a screwdriver but  you're right, this can be risky.  Weas, if you're here, perhaps you can post the exact location on the script where the pins are.   When I removed the "Corsair deluxe" script from my Henry J a few years ago, I just took the front wheel off, and tapped on the pins from the backside and they came right off.  If you do that, I'd recommend doing it evenly; in other words, tap the front one out a ways and then tap the back one out a ways and alternate back and forth till you get it off.  As I'm sure you're aware, pot metal does not bend so doing it this way works well but I do know when Weas pulled some off those parts cars, that had been sitting outside for 30+ years, he pryed them from the outside and they came off in one piece just fine. But... it's really a  plus if you know where on the script the pins are located so you can pry there.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »
Yeah, a good sharp flat head screwdriver works great. The trick is getting in next to the pins and getting them to budge just enough so you can move on to the next pin. You get them out a little bit at a time in succession. Don't try to pop one out at a time. That will crack the script for sure, or break a pin. If you can get behind them, tapping them out would probably be the best, but that isn't always going to be possible.

Whatever you do, just remember to go slowly and work them all out together. Patience will save those pins, and the paint behind them.
KFOCI #9798

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:03:17 PM »
Do you remember which letters on the scripts that the pins are behind?  Of course, if you do tap from behind, which I agree is best if you can, it won't matter.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 10:26:53 PM »
They were behind the M, H and N.