Author Topic: Deviant Brake adjusting cams?  (Read 1513 times)

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Deviant Brake adjusting cams?
« on: September 12, 2009, 12:36:33 AM »
In the process of reassembling my '53 Manhattan, I dug out an NOS front brake backing plate that I got from a former dealership in the year 3. It is identical in every respect to those I have seen before except for the brake adjusting cams. Instead of a bolt with a tab on top coming out of the nut, these appear to be a 3/8" square drive atop two thick washers, one of which is split. The cam side is the same as the standard type. Have never seen such-must be a later replacement, as I've had '54s that were like my 53. First thought would be that one simply adjusts by turning the square head, but at reasonable force levels it doesn't move. Before applying sterner force I thought I'd check to see if anyone is familiar with this design.

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deviant Brake adjusting cams?
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 10:56:00 PM »
My 47 Frazer has the type of adjuster cam that you described and they were intended to turn hard because there is no jamb nut to lock it in place.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Deviant Brake adjusting cams?
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2009, 11:51:46 PM »
Thanks '226-just what I needed to know. So it's old rather than newer. As you didn't mention that you can't keep them in adjustment I will go ahead and use the plate, as it is NOS  and a lot nicer than the one that was on my car. Now all I need is a 3/8 square drive socket...