Author Topic: Kaiser For Sale  (Read 3930 times)

billmod12

• View Profile
    • Email
Kaiser For Sale
« on: October 17, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »
With sadness, the time has come to part with my Kaiser. It has been associated in some way or another with my family as well as my younger years since it was new. It was a short feature in the KFOC quarterly, I believe Vol 43, early 2007, and is also mentioned here  http://oldcarandtruckpictures.com/Kaiser/  ( scroll down a little till you see "Home again II").  I no longer have the drive or health to properly maintain it. It is a very good car with low mileage 42300 and runs very well. It is a very solid car with only light surface rust on some flat surfaces. Everything is good run of the mill Kaiser. Would make a good driver with just paint or a great total restore. I do not want to go the ebay route unless I have to. I want 3500 for everything I have Kaiser. I will provide any info you need, conversation, email, pictures,what ever. It deserves a good home. If you have ANY questions please feel free to give me a call 910 313 1809 or 910 233 1154(cell). The pictures here are about 6 years old. Paint has continued to deteriorate.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 04:38:45 PM by billmod12 »

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kaiser For Sale
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:46:47 PM »
Where is the car located?
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 06:41:56 AM »
Location as mentioned.  Maybe take some additional current photos and add here, then advertise in the monthly. Only a few members check in on the website. 

Nice interior. It would be nice to see more of the interior.   This is a Special, correct guys?
No old cars owned.

billmod12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 07:10:28 AM »
Sorry bout that guys!!, the car is in Wilmington N.C. I am working on a detail sheet now and hope to get current pics of the car today if it doesn't rain.  It does have an Over drive that works great!  It is a special and to Big Dave, it is about as far as it can get from you and still be in the US. 2700 miles right straight across the country! Cheers! Bill

Roadmaster49

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 11:31:14 AM »
Bill
Gas isn't getting any cheaper, so with overdrive I have heard these cars can get 23-25 mpg highway. 
No old cars owned.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 02:10:15 PM »
My 50 Traveler with OD gets 24 mpg on the road. I cannot complain!

billmod12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 02:24:08 PM »
Amen!! In 1969/71 I would drive it to Chapel Hill for the NC State/ UNC  football game. I was 19 at the time. With the OD I got 22MPG going and 24MPG coming back. I never got less than 21 with the OD. Used to go to Charleston, Charlotte, Raleigh, and Chapel Hill. I never worried about breakdowns. You could take 2 pieces of 16GA wire and drive it anywhere, call a friend at the closest antique car club, buy parts at the local auto parts store. Now I am to old for that $#!T. I am truly going to miss this car. I am 62 now and just can't justify maintaining the vehicles I have. I am going to keep our Model A and a couple of my easy crank Cushman scooters. My Dad is 85 and in damn good shape and we fly RC airplanes every day together that it doesn't rain or blow. He was the parts manager at the local Kaiser Frazer dealership ( Howell Motor Company)when this car was sold and his best friend who is now 86 and worked at the Kaiser place put the heater on it. That was his job. When a new Kaiser came in he serviced it. If it called for a heater he would take the box out of the backseat and install it. If not he would put it on the parts shelf. To  sentimental to continue! More details to come. Cheers! Bill    PICTURE is 1971

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 03:16:12 PM »
Now that's the kind of stuff new folks to KF need to know...the fact that heaters were not factory installed but instead, done at the dealer. I'd like to hear some of his service horror stories! I'll bet they're the stuff of legend!

billmod12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 05:47:05 PM »
JoeF and Others, My Dad was the parts manager at Howell Motor Company in Wilmington NC from 1949-1951. He said most of the nightmares were leaks especially in the open back models, Traveler etc. Another interesting point is that KF was not  popular in the southeast and it was hard to get dealers. He said that once they got a dealer they would establish a group of assoc. dealers under the umbrella of the main dealer. In his case there were 7 assoc. dealers that received their cars and parts through him. He said his biggest nightmare was that every day the dealers would wait till the last minute to call in their orders and he would have to fill them and take them to the bus station before he went home that night. Another thing was that there was no going to the shelf and getting a starter, generator, fuel pump, dist, carb, starter drive etc. The mechanic would come to him and get the parts to REBUILD the unit thus the details in the shop manuals explaining the rebuild sequence. Things that used to baffle the mechanics:  Keep in mind that all the other established dealers in our town, Ford, Chev, Pont, Chry, Ply, Hudson, Packard,etc had the best mechanics. Can you imagine telling a newbie that he had to get a tool and spread the opening of the rear end carrier in order to get the guts out? Can you imagine telling a new body man that he had to sign out a tool to spread or pull together the hood so it would fit in the space between the fenders.  I will be glad to ask him and his friend any questions about the going on's at the KF dealership including the practical jokes. Just let me know. Cheers! Bill   

billmod12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 05:58:10 PM »
Some pics! Ask any questions

billmod12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 06:03:26 PM »
More Pics!

billmod12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 06:08:06 PM »
More pics, again ask any questions!!

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »
I see it is powered by the mighty COX .049 engine .

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 07:17:35 AM »
I see an overdrive relay but no cable/handle. How do you engage/disengage the OD?

billmod12

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 09:03:23 AM »
When I was driving this car in the early seventies at a ripe old age of 20 it was out of town to shows or college affairs so I just left it in OD with a safety wire on the tranny lever. When I got the car back about 6 years ago and made it a driver I just wired it out. When I decided to sell it I put it back in OD so people could see that it works. I do have a new cable and was hoping to find a matching OD handle and mounting bracket from an old Kaiser. but just never did. It did not come with an OD but back In the day we had acquired a partially burnt low mileage 51 Manhattan and changed it out.