Author Topic: Sad News  (Read 6100 times)

joefrazer

• View Profile
Sad News
« on: October 20, 2013, 12:26:42 PM »
I am sorry to report that Bill Tilden, our former club historian, has passed away. For those who did not know him, he was deeply involved with Kaiser-Frazer and had a passion for the cars that cannot be duplicated. He authored and co-authored several books on both Kaiser-Frazer as well as the old car hobby in general.

Bill owned several KF and Willys built cars over the years and always enjoyed showing them at various meets. He drove his cars and was justifiably proud of them.

He will be missed.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sad News
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 01:21:15 PM »
Thanks for passing this info on here Jim. I never met Mr. Tilden but I remember seeing his name everywhere in the KFOC publications.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 05:47:02 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 01:34:32 PM »
Sorry to hear this.  Bill was a great person.  He was also very involved in the research of the "Last Onslaught".  His parking lot stories were very informative and interesting.  He will be missed.
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 01:38:44 PM »
I'm pretty sure it was Mr. Tilden who we were kicking tires and walking around with during the meet in San Diego in 2011.  He told us lots of stories about him and Richard Langworth and another guy whose name escapes me at the moment driving around to various K-F related sites, Willow Run, Toledo, and various dealerships in the 60's, and meeting/interviewing many of the principles involved in the whole enterprise.  It was interesting to hear his perspective about why the book "Last Onslaught on Detroit" was somewhat Frazer-biased.  The Kaiser people at the time were not as open to interviews about the K-F times as were the Frazer-sided people. 
Anyway, it is very sad, he is a treasure to our club of course, and we will pray for his family in there time of loss.
Thanks for the info, joefrazer.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2013, 03:14:23 PM »
Very sorry to hear about Bill; we talked on the phone a lot lately but he never let on that his health issues were getting serious.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2013, 10:11:49 PM »
Richard Forgay, Dave Horton and I brought Bill's 1951 Silver Dragon prototype/Chicago show car to the National this past summer in Shipshewanna. Unfortunately, Bill's doctor told him at the last minute that he was not healthy enough to attend, so he sent us with his car. He and Richard also brought out his 1963 Aero Willys to the 2012 National in Sweetwater. He was the guest speaker at the banquet In Alabama in 2003. We interviewed him for "Legends of the Road," a half-hour documentary show on ESPN-2 about cars, his episode was about the Willys Aero. He owned two nice ones and several parts cars. He was a member of the Kaiser Club since the early 1960's, his club membership number was 191. He was an amazing man who knew absolutely everybody in the car business and the old car hobby and remembered everything that ever happened in either one of them as well. I enjoyed the times we'd travel together to a meet or car show, fascinating anecdotes and automotive history lessons. He will truly be missed.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 10:16:03 PM by Aeroman »
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 08:39:55 AM »
Viewing will be on Sunday, October 27th from 2PM to 4PM at the Oglethorpe Chapel of H.M.Patterson & Son funeral home. Service will be at 10:30AM at St Barnabas Anglican Church in Dunwoody, GA on Monday, October 28th. He will be buried at National Cemetary in Canton, GA directly after. Please bring your antique cars, make is not really important, Bill was into everything.
See links:
http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/dignity-memorial/obituary.aspx?n=W.-Tilden&lc=4946&pid=167645724&uuid=783b7ea9-f869-4f8d-a511-a97d6b4fe2e6
http://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/georgia.asp
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 08:42:22 AM by Aeroman »
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2013, 04:16:10 PM »
Flowers were sent on behalf of the KFOCI.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 08:52:50 PM »
FYI: news of Bill's passing (10/18) came after the paper version of the Bulletin had been sent to the printer (10/17) so I could not include it in the November issue.

If you would like to submit a short tribute/memory of Bill for inclusion in the December issue, please submit no later than 12 noon on 11/15/13 ~ preferably by email: bulletin@kfclub.com
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2014, 10:16:06 PM »
A very well written tribute to Bill Tilden was penned by Richard Langworth, the author of our club "bible", The Last Onslaught on Detroit. Out of respect to both Bill and Richard, I have requested its inclusion in the monthly news bulletin for all members to see. A fitting tribute to the man who helped Richard literally write the book on KF.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Tribute to Bill Tilden - former Historian
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2014, 10:58:15 PM »
For whatever reason, our bulletin editor did not print Richard's tribute to Bill in the February bulletin as requested. It's is being reprinted here with the permission of both the writer and the Society of Automotive Historians (SAH).

Bill Tilden 1935-2013
Richard M. Langworth
 U.S. Coast Guard Base, Gloucester City, New Jersey, July 1965: A call from the Ops office—“Sir, there’s a civilian here asking for you. He’s driving the weirdest car I’ve ever seen.”  It was Bill, of course. We clicked from the start. Within a week he hired me off to north Philadelphia to help strip the oddly attractive, faux lizardskin upholstery out of a rusty old car. It turned out a bad mistake—we’d junked an ultra-rare 1951 Kaiser Emerald Dragon. They built maybe six….
 Bill’s automotive tastes were catholic, ranging from the E-type Jaguar he bought new and raced—probably the oldest in the hands of its original owner—to a 1941 Cadillac Sixty-Special, several Continentals and late-model Mopars, which he acquired as “future collectibles” from Chrysler, where he then worked, building dealerships. It was Detroit’s heyday, Chrysler was rich and powerful, and more often than they knew, they helped finance our travels in search of relics.
 Bill’s wife Marilyn was resigned to his addiction, though she never forgave him for the clapped-out 1949 Frazer convertible with which Bill decorated their home in Dunwoody, Georgia. “Have you seen that Gahonkis?” she said on my first visit. “So help me, if he doesn’t get rid of that thing I’m going to leave it out on the street for the garbagemen.”

The Frazer was restored, which eased her opinion, especially when he sold it. But that was Bill, who had a soft spot for derelicts, orphans especially. He was down to under fifty (“I’m only keeping the cream”) when he was taken from us.

Our greatest collaboration was on my first book, Kaiser-Frazer: Last Onslaught [until then] on Detroit, which was a good job because of Bill. As historians, we were just in time. Many of the K-F principals were aging or infirm. The book made good its claim (“an intimate study of the American car industry”) because Bill helped me find many of them: Henry McCaslin, chief engineer of the front-wheel-drive Kaiser; Ralph Isbrandt, who gave the revolutionary ’51 its remarkable handling; designers Buzz Grisinger, Alex Tremulis and Bob Robillard, who had, with others, taken K-F styling so far above the mainstream. The book sold 7500 copies in two printings. Bill sold several hundred himself!

Time is running out and I haven’t told you the half of it: of cruising the Packard Proving Grounds at 140 in Bill’s E-type (ka-pow! went one of his Atlas Bucrons; we stopped to find a fist-sized hole in the tread), or in his retrofitted stick-overdrive Packard Caribbean; touring the bars and dives of the Florida panhandle, in search of some old automotive duffer;
entertaining Austin Clark at the Dearborn Inn; Bill driving Brooks Stevens’ Excaliburs at Indy; meandering Hershey looking for Nash dealer signs….

And that’s all you have when a friend dies. Just memories. It’s not enough, really, but it’s all you get, and soon we’re gone too, and the memories with us. He meant so much to so many, that this can only be symbolic tribute for us all. But I have no hesitation or lack of breath in this valedictory fanfare: He was always on the good side: he loved the cars, and the people who built them; he was all that was good in our world; fare thee well, my gifted, true and many-sided friend.

—Written for the Journal of the Society of Automotive Historains; reprinted by permission.

kfnut

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 07:45:15 AM »
GOOD READ . THANK YOU

JFerriss

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 11:51:44 PM »
Thanks Jim for posting this. I remember well my visits with Bill Tilden when he was one of the commentators at the Ypsilanti Orphan car shows when I took my 1951 Frazer Manhattan 4 door hardtop. He knew intimately the details of this car and confirmed  that I did have the correct interior for this car. He was a wealth of knowledge and also gave it freely with enthusiasm to anyone who showed similar interests.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2014, 09:19:59 PM »
I thought I would again bring this back to the top of the topic list since it has again not appeared in print in the monthly news bulletin.

Terry T

• EX--Editor Darrin Newsletter/Registry
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 11:12:50 AM »
Why hasn't it appeared?

Without it being in the Bulletin, those members that do not use the Forum are being short-changed!