Author Topic: STEERING WHEELS  (Read 4419 times)

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
STEERING WHEELS
« on: February 10, 2013, 01:46:40 PM »
i HAVE LOCATED AN OFF SHORE REPUTABLE MANUFACTURER OF VINTAGE STEERING WHEELS PRESENTLY MAKING FORD G.M. WHEELS ANY INTEREST FROM THE MFG CLUB

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: STEERING WHEELS
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2013, 04:26:27 PM »
Do they need clean cores, or can they have old material attached? The issue with having wheels done is in getting the old material removed from the core. It sounds easy, but it isn't. The 51-3 wheels the mfg fund had done had untold hours in just getting the old material removed without ruining the core.

I know there are folks looking for 51-3 wheels, as well as for HJ/Darrin and some of the early cars (converts and hardtops). Getting enough cores is a problem as most companies want a minimum run.

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 12:04:36 AM »
Don't forget that many Aero steering wheels are also cracked. There was a "tenite" style wheel available as an option on Aeros, as well as two different black wheels.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 12:51:38 AM »
Does the MFG Fund still have some of the 1951 Steering Wheels that are seconds?
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 04:01:47 PM »
No, all of the seconds have been sold

Carolina Fan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 04:31:13 PM »
Check with the Mfg. fund folks to see if it might be worth doing steering wheels again.  It has been quite awhile since it was done.  If they think it could be, try posting ads for cores on here, the Bulletin and Hemmings.

I've looked a quite a few pictures of cars for sale and most need new steering wheels. 

This might be a worthwhile project. :D
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 04:42:53 PM by Carolina Fan »

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 07:14:44 PM »
While it is true that many 1951-54 early Special Kaisers need new steering wheels, there are several things people seem to forget about the situation.  First off, only the higher end Kaisers and 1954 Early Specials used a tenite plastic steering wheel (the kind reproduced).  Special/deLuxe cars and Kaiser Carolinas did not use the Tenite wheel, they used a painted rubber type.  That limits the market.  Second, a lot of owners of cars needing wheels didn't rush to get them when first offered.  I think Adam Harder will tell you that it took a while to sell out the stock.  It is not unusual for people to ask for something to be made and when it becomes available demand is low because of what it costs to properly remanufacture them.

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2013, 05:44:54 PM »
I have one of the new steering wheels.  Everyone who looks at the steering wheel on my 51 are amazed the club did it.  Speaks great for the purpose of mfg. fund
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2014, 02:16:36 PM »
Joe, The company will do the steering wheel core complete or manufacture a complete wheel they will not use the old core as they are usually misshapen from use. the problem we run into is not being able to send to them using the US post office, the post office can track only US mail. Using UPS or FED EX is $100.00 and $110.00 per letter + weight when I had the Keys made for the club the mail correspondence was $2 00.00 after the initial correspondence with samples sent everything else was by E-MAIL .