Author Topic: exhaust tick  (Read 1617 times)

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
exhaust tick
« on: November 15, 2013, 03:44:23 PM »
Got the tick in my engine slowed but not stopped the mechanic told me he thought it need a new manifold I nave a 55 supercharged engine I assume it needs a different manifold than others won't interchange I noticed a parts number difference from 54 vs  51 can  they be  to re furbished  I am sure they are not available . Does anyone have a suggestion the manifold has been off the engine twice in the last two years and the current block is not the original. It  did work for  few miles but then started to tick  I have  replaced striped studs where it connects to the muffler pipe

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: exhaust tick
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:11:56 PM »
Manifold change took place for the 1953 model year in an effort to reduce backpressure. 

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 07:20:52 PM »
Jack does that mean a 1953  would fit my 55 ?

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 10:25:07 PM »
Yes, a 53 manifold will work on your 55.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 10:39:42 PM »
MilesP: I would drop the exhaust pipe and look at the gasket to see if you see black soot
where the exhaust gasses may be leaking across the gasket. If not leaking there, pull the
exhaust manifold loose and then look at the exhaust manifold gasket for black soot streaks
across the gasket material. I had to put a double gasket on part of the exhaust manifold because cylinders 3 and 4 were leaking because the manifold was warped. I also had to put two exhaust pipe gaskets on to stop another leak, because the flange on the exhaust
manifold was corroded. If the gaskets show no sign of leakage, you may have a small
crack in the manifold.

boatingbill

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2013, 03:48:38 PM »
Jake: That engine is backfiring through the carb. The timing is probably way off the mark.

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 10:15:20 AM »
Jake his tick is more of an explosion mine is like ringing a bell