Author Topic: '54 Early Special head bolts and accelerator linkage  (Read 1335 times)

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
'54 Early Special head bolts and accelerator linkage
« on: July 03, 2009, 09:14:57 AM »

The Service Manual makes no mention of retorquing the bolts after any period of time or miles. Any recommedations? I see it's fairly low torque, too at 30-35 ft-lbs.
Second question: The car (new rebuilt 226) does not seem to have the power it should and I noticed the choke plate is always vertical. The manuals says there is a linkage that can be adjusted and I ponder if that is adjusted correctly, then I'll get some of the power back. I really have to bare down on the accelerator pedal to maintain over 50 mph.

The '54 Early Special has returned home after having to be returned to the shop about 6 weeks ago due to coolant in the oil. They think either or two things happened: they did not retorque the bolts under the carburetor/accelerator linkage and/or they did not properly apply the copper gasket gook. Drove the car about 40 miles home on a 97-98 degree day and it ran pretty warm most of the way and vapor locked once but recovered and then blew out 2 quarts of coolant just inside the driveway....so lucky on that. Electric pump goes on Friday and radiator to the shop.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan