Author Topic: Supercharger Question  (Read 1890 times)

rex

• View Profile
    • Email
Supercharger Question
« on: July 09, 2009, 07:03:09 AM »
Hi, Guys and Gals,

I have a question about the supercharger on my Kaiser Manhattan.  This car has been idle more or less for a number of years now, and I would like to know if the Supercharger needs any particular sort of service before the car is driven much.  It does have oil in it and seems to be working properly for the very little bit it has been driven.  I'd like to keep it that way, too.  If any member has suggestions about what to do or not to do, I'd appreciate hearing.  I am a former club member who is going to re-new officially soon.

Thanks,

Rex

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Supercharger Question
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009, 08:45:44 PM »
McCulloch superchargers need to be treated carefully to maximize their lifespan. The most important thing is to keep the fluid full and clean. The pulley should rotate by hand with just enough drag that it does not free wheel. If it has 'flat' spots or binds, then the ball bearings or the race is worn. If so, it's best to disconnect the belt before the whole unit is trashed. Otherwise, keep the fluid full and enjoy the car with it running!

rex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 09:29:26 AM »
Thanks for that advice!  I wonder if there is maintenance information in the owner's manual about it?  My car had neither an original owner's manual nor shop manual with it.

Thanks,

Rex

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009, 10:48:19 AM »
There is a supercharger manual.  Ben Walker sells it on CD for $25 (it also includes the power steering and overdrive manuals).  His website is http://www.kfnut.com/forsale/serparts.html.