Author Topic: Engine Tune-Up  (Read 2152 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Engine Tune-Up
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:21:20 PM »
Well, I have just about got the braking system completely overhauled (one small fitting on the back of the master cylinder is still leaking, but other than that it's good) and now I am moving on to fluid exchange (also almost done) and engine tune-up.  I was looking at the engine tune-up section of the shop manual for my 53K, and it has quite a lot of elaborate tests for the distributor that would require expensive equipment to perform, such as centrifugal spark advance tests on a districutor tester.  Are these necessary?  I do have an engine analyzer to test rpm, dwell angle, etc. but it is for 12-volt systems.  Does anyone know where to get one for a 6 volt system?  Also, will an ordineary timing light work on a 6-volt system, or do I need a special one?

montefrazer

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Engine Tune-Up
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 06:56:20 PM »
These are only necessary if you have a problem with the distributer. All you really need is a set of feeler gauges, a screwdriver and a timing light. A 12 volt should work but not be as bright, or just hook it up to a 12 volt battery. The spark to the plug just triggers the timing light to flash. Set the rubbing block on the points on a high spot on the distributer cam, use the .022 blade from the feeler gauge, put it between the movable arm and stationary part, adjust the points until a light drag is felt as you slide the feeler gauge between them, tighten the points, recheck with feeler gauge, if all is good, put a SMALL amount of grease on the distriuter cam, and you're done. Used to be a special grease for points, but I don't know how easy it is to find today. Don't worry too much about setting the timing to factory specs. Gas has changed a lot since 1953. Try a few degrees either way and set it where it runs the best. These systems aren't as fussy as new computer controled systems, close is good.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 11:45:04 PM »
Okay, thanks.  That's useful information.  It sounded like the whole tune-up procedure in the manual was a little overboard--unless, of course, something is seriously wrong.  Will give it a try.

lacyf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 06:14:56 PM »
reguarding the grease used for the cam lobe when doing a tune up,,,I use a permatex dielectric tune up grease..pn 67v.........available at most parts stores............