Author Topic: 51 kaiser deluxe  (Read 4124 times)

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 51 kaiser deluxe
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 07:07:58 PM »
It's a very nice looking car. I like it and it looks like fine worksmanship on it.
The radio is an after-market Motorolla which was made for the Kaiser. I think that's pretty cool actually as preserving nice cars with some period correct add-ons makes them even more interesting.  The seller claims it has the 4 speed Hydramatic. The '51 Kaiser (and '52 Kaiser Virginian) originally had the single range (often referred to as 'the two-speed slush-box')  so that was changed - probably a good thing as I've heard the Dual Range Hydramatic is much better. That steering wheel is really nice - you don't see many that nice any more. It may be a repro but in any case it's a nice one. I like the color too. I think it would make someone a fine car.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

rialto

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 10:37:35 PM »
Kaiser automatics were all four speed. Original Hydramatic Drive only has  N Dr Lo R on the indicator. Dr shifts up or down through all four gears. Lo only shifts up or down between first and second.  Dual Range adds another position  N Dr Dr Lo R .  Dr next to Lo shifts up or down from first to third. Lo starts in second and stays there.  54 and 55 indicators have N Dr Int Lo R and work the same as 52 and 53.    All get Park by turning engine off in Reverse.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2014, 09:50:59 AM »
Not that I want the topic hijacked, but thanks for the info on the Hydramatics rialto.  I've heard of more than one person who bragged about changing their '51 Kaiser to a dual range.  There was a nice '51 for sale here in Mpls a few years ago and that's the first thing the seller told me was that when he had the engine rebuilt he had the dual range Hydramatic installed in place of the original.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I still think it looks pretty nice.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2014, 11:40:03 AM »
Aside from the extra manual shift point selection at the steering wheel, dual range units also benefit from a hydraulic reverse unit rather than being mechanically actuated like the single range unit used.

checker

• JE SUIS PRET
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 05:44:11 PM »
Speaking of Automatic Transmissions on Kaisers, I confirm that my 51 DeLuxe has a 4 speeds because I can really feel each of the gears as they switch.
Now, I've never driven another car with Hydramatic besides mine (and I'm not of that era), is it normal to feel the gears switching kinda hard?
I know that we cannot compare with today's cars and besides that, it works ok.

Bernie

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 07:05:26 PM »
All of my hydramatic Kaisers have firm shifts. A friend had several Hudsons and they had firm shifts as well. We had a 56 Coupe DeVille that shifted much smoother than the Kaisers. Maybe it was due to the car's weight...

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2014, 07:31:45 PM »
I was the high bidder and just reached an agreement with the seller, so it looks like I will finally be (after 40 years of car tinkering) joining the club of proud Kaiser owners!

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »
Congratulations.  As mentioned, it looks very good from my chair.  You'll have to tell us all about it when you take possession. That's probably my favorite color combination on the '51 Kaiser.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 08:18:21 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

retired wrench

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2014, 08:14:19 AM »

Yes the four speed hydramatics had a very positive shift. Might even call them harsh. When used in trucks the quadrant had a position for all four "gears". I had a ford service truck I put an olds engine and hydo in and when towing a car the drivers head would go back when it shifted.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2014, 05:44:02 PM »
Interesting.  So thanks to 51Deluxe, I'm also getting an education on Hydramatic transmissions. The things you can learn on this forum! One person buys a car and several benefit from it.
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2014, 07:49:45 AM »
I agree I just had my 55 transmission rebuilt  and it has a "positive" shift I was concerned and planed to take it back to Amoco for an adjustment but now I know it is just normal I check this forum daily and am educated daily by this group thanks

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2014, 09:47:17 AM »
Very good to know as I've never driven a Kaiser before (and for that matter anything with Hydramatic) and otherwise wouldn't know what to expect. Also good to know, from reading somewhere else, about turning the key off in reverse to park. I would have spent hours trying to figure that out.

Looks like my car will be transported next week and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm a professional videographer and will be documenting the delivery process and posting it for all interested to see.

A couple of years ago I acquired a 1919 Chevy 490, which turned out to be impractical to drive to even local shows, so I sold it. Here is the delivery video I  shot:

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVowcvIyRAg

alohagreen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2014, 10:10:01 AM »
Very good to know as I've never driven a Kaiser before (and for that matter anything with Hydramatic) and otherwise wouldn't know what to expect. Also good to know, from reading somewhere else, about turning the key off in reverse to park. I would have spent hours trying to figure that out.

Looks like my car will be transported next week and I'm really looking forward to it. I'm a professional videographer and will be documenting the delivery process and posting it for all interested to see.

A couple of years ago I acquired a 1919 Chevy 490, which turned out to be impractical to drive to even local shows, so I sold it. Here is the delivery video I  shot:

ww.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVowcvIyRAg

neet to see

v=ZVowv=ZVowcvIyRAgcvIyRAg
v=ZVowcvIyRAg
alohageen is here to help,
a little help goes a LONG way...