Author Topic: New Guy  (Read 2094 times)

Garage Philosopher

• View Profile
    • Email
New Guy
« on: August 27, 2009, 07:33:36 AM »
Hello all!

New guy here, ready to share/show what little I know. I have an ex-Mike Barker '54 Manhattan two door that my father got to enjoy for a couple years before he passed. Dad also had a nice '51 HJ, would have liked to keep that too, but I made my choice.

I'll be posting pics and pushing opinions, all the while remembering this is supposed to be fun.

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Guy
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 08:21:52 AM »
Welcome to the forums. Glad to have you here. We'd all love to see some pics.
KFOCI #9798

Garage Philosopher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 03:01:10 PM »
Here's a start...

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 03:42:10 PM »
A truly beautiful machine!
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988

Weaz

• Specials RULE!
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 08:21:32 PM »
Yes! Very nice.
KFOCI #9798

Garage Philosopher

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:12:22 AM »
Thanks. What you see is the way it came, and I've done my best to keep it that way.

What has been work is improving roadworthiness and driveability. The SC was not in use when we got it, steering was sloppy, brakes were dodgy and it ran very hot. The fuel gauge failed on the drive home, etc. Over the years much of this has been made right, but steering and brake issues remain. Found an earlier (long shaft) steering box locally and will combine parts of the two in hopes of great improvement. Brakes, I ain't sure how to get better performance. There just isn't a whole lot of stopping power available from them, and now that I've found much more "go" from the engine, the lack of stop concerns me.

My Dad wasn't that guy, Fid. His HJ came out of Midland, Michigan as a clean running, driving unit. Very close to original blue, six without od, a pretty nice driver but it always felt somewhat "delicate", and seemed unhappy at speeds over 50mph. That was the major reason I didn't try to keep it, too.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 09:37:15 AM »
Thanks for the info.  I did some searching through my records and found a photo of the '54 that fellow had sent and it was a different color.  In any case, your '54 is a beauty!  Here's the one that I saw in Saint Paul in June -

I like that color combination.
On a side note, regarding the Henry J without overdrive; If it was originally a four cylinder that was converted to a 6 cylinder, then that would explain a lot. The four cylinder without OD used a different rearend than the 6 without OD so the gearing does not match up. Putting in a 6 and not adding OD won't work very well and as you point out, 50 mph is about all you'll get out of it without the engine screaming. Add OD or change the rearend and it'll go 75 mph with no problems.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2016, 06:02:47 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

51henryj

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 12:37:42 AM »
Hello,,   Very Nice.. I do like that..