Author Topic: MORE PICS FROM KF CONVENTION & IOLA  (Read 13593 times)

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
Re: MORE PICS FROM KF CONVENTION & IOLA
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 01:51:01 PM »

According to your numbers you have a 1950 standard Frazer.

I don't understand your comment about the tail lights as ALL 49-50 F had the upright lights.

Also the AG 5 seems to be for standards as well and AG 6 was for Manhattans. The handbook states no confidental bulletins spell out the contents of these groups.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

Jeri Conklin

• 1949/1950 Frazer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 01:52:14 PM »
Beautiful picture! Mine has no visor, nor does it have holes or anything where it might have been. From what I understand, there has been no restoration attempt in the past on my car. It was in a garage for quite awhile and then moved to a field where the guy I got it from found it. I just know I have a beautiful car also and she just must have been special with the door trim. Perhaps her original owner ordered her that way. The front seat is leather and that is all I have for the interior, no cloth/leather panels for the doors or anything to go by. Thank you for sharing your picture. If the plates weren't in place I might think perhaps they had gotten switched at birth :) :).

Jeri Conklin

• 1949/1950 Frazer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 02:00:30 PM »
Ben-Tex - in some of the pictures through the links to other KF members and their cars was the picture of a purported 1949 Frazer with the long sideways tail lights. I'm new and just attempting to learn, I may get stuff wrong, I'm sorry. I understand now that Kaisers had the sideways tail lights on the 49 model and Frazer had the up and down tail lights. I'm still learning the differences between the Kaiser and Frazer models, so forgive me please. So perhaps the picture I saw that said "Frazer" was incorrectly labeled and should have been "Kaiser."  I sincerely appreciate all the assistance from everyone as this is a totally new area for me. Thank you.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 03:32:54 PM »
Don't feel too badly Jeri as one thing  us KF people always have to contend with is that there are basically only two different bodies (and some variations on them, 2 dr, 4 dr, hatchback) and most parts from different  years / models bolt right on to all the others.  The thing newer members of this hobby may not be familiar with is that many of the cars were first restored in the 60s and 70s before there was an internet and ebay.  This meant information, parts, literature etc. was not always available and restorers had to use whatever they could find in salvage yards (most of those are gone now too), or if they were lucky enough to find old dealers who still had parts, to restore their vehicles.  Very few are truly authentic any more.  Even back in the 70s we'd encounter many of them in salvage yards that had already been altered with parts from other models.  The best guides for what was original are the original shop manual (a factory issue), brochures, factory service bulletins, parts manuals and other factory literature. I've learned never to believe what a previous owner tells me.  I saw a very nice 1952 Kaiser Virginian at a rally last Friday evening. The proud, new owner proclaimed "It is all original..." but I didn't have the heart to inform him of several obvious modifications and it likely would've only upset him if I did. His car is beautiful regardless and I'm sure yours is too. That's what makes the hobby fun is putting something old and antique back in the public arena where others can enjoy it.  If it's all original, that's great but if it's a nice old car that someone took the time and effort to preserve, that's great as well.  If people want to talk facts, I'm  happy to do that but if they want to show off their car and take pride in it, even if it has some alterations / modifications, I'll still be right there with them every time.  I have a '52 Henry J Vagabond that was originally a standard four cylinder model. When the engine threw a rod, I replaced it with a 6 cylinder engine, overdrive transmission and added all the deluxe model trim to it because that's how I wanted it.  I'll never claim it's "all original" but I'll agree with everyone who tells me it's "...a very nice car", because a lot of people do!
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »
Well FID is right on when he made the comment about the claims of "all original" for KF cars. And you can't trust pics either!

We were all beginners at one time and I am a 37 model and still make a mistake every once in a while   :)

Whatever you do don't loose your enthusiasm.
Life Member
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2009, 04:01:21 PM »
I just googled and found this "all original" 49 standard. There are a number on non-original pieces for sure.

I seem to recall seeing this car for sale somewhere--perhaps on ebay.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2982584
Life Member
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond

Jeri Conklin

• 1949/1950 Frazer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2009, 04:31:27 PM »
Thank you both for the info. Given the pictures that ben-tex just sent of a supposed original 1949, I'm beginning to question as to whether or not my front seat that was suppose to be original really is since there is an ashtray in the box of "pieces and parts" that came in the trunk that looks just like the one in the picture which would go on the back of the front seat. There are no holes in the back side leather of the front seat to allow for the addition of that ashtray. Perhaps there has been some restoration done afterall and the front seat was re-covered in leather without the ashtray or perhaps they just never got it in, but obviously something has been done. I guess each day will bring new surprises! My goal is to keep her as original as possible and that is the best I can do as I know that I can't get all the original parts. She'll be beautiful no matter how altered she becomes. 

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 07:20:06 PM »
Jeri, here's a photo of the back seat of the 1949 Manhattan we had. The photo was taken in 1981, pretty sure it was original as we were the second owner. But as you know, you never know!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 07:28:44 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Jeri Conklin

• 1949/1950 Frazer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 08:38:09 PM »
The color of your leather seat is the color of mine and I felt in the back and there are places for the ashtray in the metal frame. I think this is the original seat after all. Perhaps the ashtray was just an extra piece thrown in. Would you have a picture of either of the front inside doors? That will give me an idea of what I'm missing to see if it might be in the box. Also, what are the rules on seat belts? I'm guessing they didn't have them way back then, so do we have to put them in now, and do they have to be the shoulder type or can we get away with lap belts?

Thanks again for the pictures, they help so much!

FrazerWill

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 10:52:19 PM »
Jeri Conklin, as far as I know seat belts are required after 1965 or so. Before that it's ok not to have them, but they are a good idea.

FrazerWill

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2009, 11:13:52 PM »
 "I can't get all the original parts."  Jeri, take your time and the parts will come. I just got some radio button clips from a member here. (I'm a happy camper) and theres seller who have NOS and used parts too.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 08:40:02 AM »
The seats in our 1949 Manhattan were not leather. They were the original green cloth but at the time (1974), the only seat covers we could find that would fit the car were red so we installed the red seat covers, then put green slip covers over them and that's what you see in the photo. The original seats were quite nice yet in that car at the time.
and
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 07:30:08 PM by Fid »
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2009, 07:57:18 PM »
The Frazer looks gorgeous! But what's with the white stuff on the ground around it?

Around these parts, I'd probably get thumped by any car buff if he saw me out with my '54 with that white stuff on the ground.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2009, 08:21:24 PM »
The car was originally restored in November/December 1974, in Omaha, NE and we were pretty exited to drive it so it did see snow that first month but never again. That photo was taken Christmas Eve 1974
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Jeri Conklin

• 1949/1950 Frazer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2009, 08:46:02 PM »
Bet you didn't have to put snow chains on a Frazer with their weight! Beautiful photos, thank you, gives me great ideas and now I have a couple more things on my list of missing parts.