Author Topic: Update on latest HJ  (Read 1308 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Update on latest HJ
« on: June 22, 2014, 09:02:33 PM »
Update on work on latest Henry J. Remember I did not buy a great car. I bought a good car. The great ones are there ,but after 2 years of looking I gave up. I got a good car with some very nice features, but also quite a bit of time consuming but not heavy or serious work. I got what I paid for and I’m satisfied that if I decided to sell, I could probably recover my costs.
It appears that this car had a thorough restoration in the past and then sat for a long time, unused. All the cables,vent, O.D. and choke were either frozen or very stiff. The seller told me that the O.D. did not work. He was right as far as it went .The pull on the cable was frozen. After 30 minutes working it with a liberal dosing of penetrating oil it works just fine. One window and both vent windows were stuck. They now work perfectly . I removed the door panels and with penetrating oil followed up with grease and slowly working them got them freed up.
Because of what I see as long storage and inattention. I am being very thorough in going over everything. Front shocks were nearly new. The rears were a disgrace.
I junked the 8-volt battery (anybody want it?) It now sports a 6-volt, positive ground, 60-amp alternator with an OPTMIA battery. I used this on my previous Henry J for 7 years of faultless service. The OPTMIA just does not run down when inactive. Some of the wires are quite brittle. I may ask Bob McBride to make me a harness incorporating the alternator, turn lights and a rear elec. fuel pump. My last Henry J was Bob’s own car in which he installed his first repro harness. Each lead was numbered on both ends. O K, not correct ,but I loved it.
Both my bumpers have a nice rechrome, but the rest is going to put me in the poor house

Electrical observation. No problem getting a proper 1 ga. Negative post to starter solenoid cable. The woven ground lead was a different story all I could find were 2 Ga. I looked at many but all seem to be universal application and 2 Ga, I bought a second 1 Ga. Insulated cable and used it to the engine with a jumper to the frame. I am such a nut on grounds , I may run a second jumper to the body.

;D Back to the hood prop up rod. Anyone have a spare retaining clip that holds it to the radiator shroud? (Please)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 09:04:42 PM by Corsairdeluxe »
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

r1lark

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Update on latest HJ
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 06:05:37 AM »
Jim, looking forward to following your progress on resurrecting this Henry. But remember, pictures are always appreciated.  :D

Who did you source your 6v/positive ground alternator from?
Paul
Winston-Salem NC
Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at:  www.studebakerskytop.com

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 06:42:48 PM »
When I bought my '52 Vagabond back in '01 the front parking brake cable was stuck tight. I had to take it off soak it in a pan of oil for a couple of days - works great now. The tracks for the adjustable seat were stuck tight too. I had take them off and lube them.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 09:45:49 PM »
Regarding the hood rod clip Jim - Alan Thomas just sent me this -

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jeep-Wrangler-1997-2000-Hood-prop-catch-support-rod-retainer-holder-Mopar-OEM-/161353596821?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AJeep&hash=item25916c7f95&vxp=mtr

Looks exactly the same as the '51-'52 J.
The '53  J had a slightly different clip that was fastened with two screws. I paid $25 for one on ebay about 10 years ago. Anyway, the clip Alan sent, which he also says is Mopar part number 55075480AC, looks like an exact replacement for the '51-'52 style that so many people seem to need. I'm sure it would fit yours as well if you need one.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios