Author Topic: 1948 Kaiser in Raleigh, NC  (Read 1774 times)

madedlon

• View Profile
    • Email
1948 Kaiser in Raleigh, NC
« on: August 08, 2009, 07:31:37 PM »
Hi,

This is my first note on the forum so I hope I'm not asking a stupid question. I recently became the proud owner of a 1948 Kaiser, which belonged to my father and his father before him. It was purchased new by my grandfather and has been in the family ever since and almost always garage kept.

The car has only been driven sporadically over the past 5 years or so, mostly due to fuel problems, garbage in the tank, fuel lines plugged up, that sort of thing. I had the tank removed and resealed on the inside and with my brother-in-laws help, we finally got it going. Right now, I can get the car started but after about 5 minutes of warming up, the engine makes a sound like popcorn popping. Its not like a backfire coming from the exhaust, but just a popping noise from the engine area. Another brother-in-law suggested I try Sea-Foam which he said would clean up the carburetor, but I'm hesitant to do so. Does anyone know of a good mechanic in the Raleigh, NC area that works on Kaisers or other old cars similar to it? My dad is 85 and has Alzheimer's, and I'd love to get the car working reliably enough to take him for a ride. We've both spent more money having the car towed home then we care to think about.

Thanks,
Ed

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1948 Kaiser in Raleigh, NC
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2009, 10:33:14 PM »
Did you have the air cleaner off when it was making the popping sound? If the air cleaner was off while it was popping you could see the back fireing through the carburetor which is usually caused by sticking intake valves. This is a common condition for old cars that have been sitting for long periods of time. Larry

Fabian 51K

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 06:23:08 AM »
Hello,

If you have not joined the KF club, you probably should. Most of the members are very helpful. I used to live in Fayetville before being stationed in Germany. Mark Dierks is the resident North Carolina Kaiser expert. Mark lives outside of Charlotte. He was my mentor on my 51 Kaiser. Mike Flemming also lives in the triad in Kernersville, he also may have some parts, lots of good conversation, but not much mechanical skill, but he does have a beautiful 54 Kaiser. There is an older gentlemen named William Garrison, he lives in Raleigh. I do nor know about his mechanical prowless, but he does have some parts and several parts cars. for beer, food, and a place to stay most members including myself would probably be willing to assist you. I recently acquired a 47 Kaiser that I am in the process of doing research on, the '47 Kaiser is nearly identical to the '48 Kaiser. My cars are currently living in Savannah Georgia with my father. Let me know if you need any help.

Fabian

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 07:20:36 AM »
Believe it or not...the popping sound could be coming from your fuel pump. KF fuel pumps for the 48's used a lower fuel pump with an upper vacuum pump for the wipers. If the line has been disconnected from the upper half that runs to the wipers, then you'll get the popping sound. It's worth checking.

54 Kaiser

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:29:09 AM »
Joe: Any history of broken spings in the fuel pumps on Kaisers where the pump lever starts "bouncing" on the cam that drives it? I've had that on old Chevys and it was the same sort of popping or tapping sound.