Author Topic: Oil Pressure  (Read 2021 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Oil Pressure
« on: August 29, 2009, 12:28:57 AM »
I am having some oil pressure / gauge problems and have been reading through some of the old posts.  My problem is that the oil pressure gauge often reads at zero, but sometimes goes up to around 35 psi when the rpms increase (but not always).  It seems like this would be a gauge or sender issue, but I'm not sure.  Does the 226 have any known issues with low oil pressure?  Should I put a new sender on to see if that helps?

As far as my other gauges go, the temp. seems fine.  goes right up to the middle as it warms up and stays right there.  The ammeter also works fine.  The fuel gauge, however, is erratic.  It often reads empty or nearly so, but sometimes will go up to where the actual fuel level is.  My main concern is with the oil pressure and making sure there is enough of it.

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Oil Pressure
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 06:56:59 AM »
The best way to test oil pressure is by installing a mechanical gauge. The King Seeley (sp?) unit that KF used is known for erratic readings. To answer your question, yes, KF engines are prone to oil pressure issues. The oil pump uses a cast iron housing with a stamped steel base cover. When they wear, the stamped base cover stretches and allows oil to escape, thereby dropping pressure. Your car should have about 20lbs at idle and 35lbs at 35 mph, both with a warm engine. So, stop by and worthwhile auto parts store and buy a mechanical gauge. Remove the existing sending unit ,install the new gauge somewhere under the dash and run the line directly to the opening in the block where the old sending unit was and then you can observe the readings as you run down the road.

As for the erratic fuel gauge readings, it's almost always the fault of the tank unit. Either you have an iffy ground or the unit itself is going bad.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Oil Pressure
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 11:41:05 AM »
Okay, thanks--that's good advice.