Author Topic: Horn Relay  (Read 8055 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Horn Relay
« on: June 09, 2009, 11:07:58 PM »
I went to Napa to get a horn relay for my 53K and the part number they showed was only a 3-prong.  Mine is s 4-prong: one to the horns, one to the hot battery terminal (via the starter solenoid), one to the ignition switch, and one to the horn ring (which closes the circuit).  Does anyone know the correct part number, or where I might get one?

Thanks,
Cory (Logan)

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Horn Relay
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »
Suggest you look for the 4-terminal horn relay on ebay. They show up there from time to time. I bought three of them for my cars. I tried both NAPA and CarQuest w/o success. I just did a search for 6v horn relay and waited for the 4-terminal one.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2009, 09:31:16 PM »
I think the # was HR101 but when they found one for me under that number, it was a 12V 3-terminal.  I just did a quick check on ebay and found none, but they do show up occassionally.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

ben-tex

• View Profile
    • KF NUT
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 08:09:50 AM »
The parts list in the Handbook gives the following NAPA numbers for horn relays:

HR100 for 54-55 K and all HJ

HR109 for 49-53 KF

I have no personal experience with these numbers.
Life Member
Quarterly Editor 1985-2001
Developed first official club website
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1951 Frazer Vagabond
2008 Pacemaker :)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2009, 05:20:00 PM »
I found one on E-bay that says it's for a '46-48' Kaiser/Frazer.  Does anyone know if this is the same as 51-55 (mine is a 53)?  It looks the same--it is a 4-prong.

Thanks,
Cory

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2009, 09:39:24 AM »
Should be correct. You just need the 4th terminal to work through the ignition switch. K/F horns by that design work only with the ignition switch on. Some mopars in that time frame also used the 4-terminals.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2009, 09:49:31 PM »
I ordered it.  I'll let you know how it goes.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 10:45:48 AM »
I put the new relay on and the horn still doesn't work.  I can get the horns to blow by hotwiring them, and when I push the horn ring the relay makes a clicking noise, but no horn.  Is this just a bad relay?  Any ideas?

FrazerWill

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 02:08:54 PM »
Take your volt meter and see if you have power coming out of your relay, where the horn hooks up...If so, look at the wiring to the horns...run a jumper wire to the horn from the relay and see if it works.

If not, then it might be the relay. They are simple, if I remember right, and if its clicking then the electric magnet inside is working OK..the contacts can be cleaned with fine sandpaper, then use a contact grease to get a good contact.

Look at the easy stuff first...wiring.

I hope I've help...

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 09:05:01 PM »
Be sure the terminals have the correct wires going to them.  Sometimes the horn relay terminals are not labeled.  I ran into that awhile back.  Reversed two wires ( I think it was horn button wire and ignition switch wire) and it worked.  There is the possibility of in adequate gorund in the steering wheel/horn button but since you get the relay to click, sounds like that part is working.  Be sure indeed it is a 6 volt relay.  Not long ago I got a starter solenoid off ebay that was stated to be 6v but ti was not labeled and turne dout to be 12V.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 09:32:55 AM »
Everything was wired up right, so I contacted the E-bay seller and he was kind enough to send me a replacement relay, which works.  In fact, now it works TOO well.  The horn is always on and I can't figure out what I need to do with the horn ring to make it so it will go off.  Is there a certain rubber part in there that prevents contact that has perhaps worn out?  Anyone familiar with these?  Thanks.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 12:27:17 AM »
I ended up putting 3 little pieces of tape on the edges of part 9--works great!  Thanks.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 08:57:00 AM »
Been there, done that!
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 10:46:28 PM »
I did the same on part nine with electrical tape.   I don't know why it works but it does.   Process of elimination solved the problem.   I'll never know what the real fix is i guess.
Part #1 has a wire with some sort of end on it which is missing on my car.  This supplies the juice for the horn connection .   Any idea where I can get one of these or idea how to make a replacement button?   thanks
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 03:21:22 PM by jmxkf1 »

84RabbitGTI

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 07:01:35 PM »
As for springeeness of the horn button, I had to replace the rubber donut, part 3, which the club sells though the manufacturing fund as mine was a hard, misshapen mess.
L Mommsen
Marysville, WA
1951 Kaiser Deluxe 4 Dr
Member #6356 Since 1988