Author Topic: Brakes  (Read 2557 times)

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Brakes
« on: September 06, 2014, 08:23:38 PM »
Took the Kaiser out for a drive but could smell the brakes rubbing. Break pedal is tight as a drum and hardly moves. Any idea what is going on?
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Brakes
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 08:44:45 PM »
Yep...it's the master cylinder. The return hole is blocked. You can try removing the lines and purging the cylinder of fluid then, using a thin wire try cleaning out both holes at the bottom of the reservoir. If the problem persists, you'll need to pull and break down the cylinder to clean it properly.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 03:52:43 PM by joefrazer »

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 09:46:21 PM »
Thanks. I put disc brakes on my Ford and had a similar problem. In that case though it was a wrong sized brake rod. Since I had not done anything to the brakes I was not sure what it was.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »
Have you already gone through the brakes? If not a blocked return hole, could also be that the adjustment is off on one wheel. If you let go of the steering wheel (when not braking) and it pulls, it's a front wheel. You adjust the brakes with a tool that looks like a flat screwdriver with a 90 degree bend about two inches from the blade. Adjust till wheel is tight, then back off slightly. Since the drum isn't perfectly round, it may still rub (very slightly) somewhere in the revolution.

Another possibility is a seized or sticking wheel cylinder. Hope you get this solved and are able to bring it to Jackson!
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 02:27:35 PM by 51Deluxe »

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 03:54:02 PM »
The brakes functioned good on the car up until Saturday so I don't think it is an adjustment problem.  It is not pulling but is very sluggish when pulling off, like an emergency brake was set.  I have not done anything to the brakes nor even looked at the lines closely.  I plan to jack the car up and see if all wheels have the brakes engaged, if so maybe it is in the master cylinder.  If just one tire is engaged then I'll look at wheel cyl or rubber lines.

I had a similar issue with my Ford.  I put disc brakes on it and changed the MC.  The rod I used was the wrong size and that was causing a similar type problem.  So the problem was the MC.  I have not changed anything on the brakes and so I know the rod is the right size but it could be in the MC.  Not even sure at this point what the fluid looks like.

I go home on Friday so I am hoping it is something simple like JoeFrazer said and I can bring the car to Jackson with me. 
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »
Hmmm- maybe the emergency brake cable or linkage is sticky and not releasing completely. Might want to check that out.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 06:57:40 PM »
I'll check but I've never set the brake.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 07:07:21 AM »
An easy test to see if it is the master cylinder...where the front and rear lines join at the tee, crack one loose just enough to get fluid to drip, then retighten. If pedal travel returns to normal, then the issue is with the master cylinder. The cylinder return hole is blocked and not allowing the pressure built, when applying the brakes, to release.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 03:37:59 PM »
Jim you were right. I cracked a brake line and the pedal released. I took the MC out drained it cleaned it, blew air through it and then cycled fluid through it. I re installed it, bled the brakes and they appear to be working fine.

I used a one man bleeder for the first time. I thought it was pretty cool. Before I always had my wife pump the brakes.

Here are some photos of it cleaned out.  It was pretty nasty.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 03:49:12 PM »
It's raining and my vacuum wipers don't work so no driving today.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1960 Metropolitan