Author Topic: 49 Kaiser Electrical Problem  (Read 2010 times)

KaiserStu49

49 Kaiser Electrical Problem
« on: September 16, 2014, 10:24:53 AM »
I've begun restoring my 49 Kaiser, replaced fuel pump, fuel,  spark plugs, battery, oiled up the pistons via spark plug holes, just to see if it would turn over and it did after being garaged for 25 years.  It did turn over, even popped.   Then I replaced the ignition coil and tried turning the motor over again.  Pushed the start button and . . . . just nothing. I replaced the new coil with the old one but that did not make any difference.  I did have light in the glove box so there was power to parts but no ignition.  Looking for you experts from your experience do I take a look at replacing the voltage regulator or a solenoid? 

51Deluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 49 Kaiser Electrical Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 10:57:57 AM »
To verify it's the ignition, take out a spark plug, leave it plugged in and lay it on the engine block. Crank it over and watch for spark. Got it? You have a fuel problem. No spark? Make sure your high voltage coil wire and plug wires are good , then test for 6 volts at the coil terminals.

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:28:07 AM »
Sounds more like there's no power to the solenoid, or it's not working. Turn on the key and, using a screwdriver, jump the small connection on the solenoid to the larger one that runs to the starter. If it cranks then there's an issue upstream, most likely at the button.

If there's still nothing at the starter, then there's an open circuit in the charging wiring. Make sure your coil is connected properly and that all the wires to the voltage regulator and generator are intact and tight. One broken wire interrupts the circuit and will cause the problem you're experiencing.

KaiserStu49

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 12:08:29 PM »
Appreciate the wisdom and experience. Thanks.

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 07:57:17 PM »
My guess would be the solenoid. Sometimes they stick. Jumping it should tell you if that is the case. If you replace it be careful. I bought three in a row that were bad for my Ford. I finally went to an alternator shop and bought one and haven't had a problem since.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 08:03:10 PM »
It could also  be a weak battery. A battery could light small lights but still not supply enough current to turn a starter.  The test Joe Frazer suggested should help determine it.  If his test works, the battery is fine.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios