Author Topic: Choke  (Read 3650 times)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
Choke
« on: September 07, 2009, 09:05:25 PM »
Mine had the wrong part in it so I replaced the thermostatic choke coil spring.  There are two ways it could possibly go:

A: You can install it so that the hook at the end of the spring goes IN FRONT OF the choke lever, thus CLOSING the choke when it gets COLD.

or

B: You can install it so that the hook at the end of the spring goes BEHIND the choke lever, thus OPENING the choke when it gets HOT.

I installed it the (A) way since if nothing is acting on the choke, it falls to the fully open position, so I thought the spring should push it closed when it gets cold.  However, the way the spring is designed it looks more natural to use the hook in the spring to pull the choke open when it gets hot.  Also, the way I have it installed now the mark is way off the scale, but if I put it on the (B) way, it should line up about at the center.  Does anybody know how this is actually supoposed to go?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 09:33:05 PM by Logan »

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Choke
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 09:19:27 PM »
Believe the heat pipe into the climatizer heats up the spring and causes the choke plate to gradually open.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »
But if the spring rests behind the choke lever (position B) what closes the choke?  The choke plate's natural position is to be open, i.e. if you just let it fall to its natural position, it falls open, so it seems you would need something to push it closed.  I think I need other adjustments to the carburetor as well as it is not running too well.  I think I will take it to my mechanic and see what he can do.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 03:27:40 PM »
Okay, so the drawings in my pictures above represent the way I THOUGHT the spring should be turning.  In actuality the spring turns the opposite way, i.e. when it heats up, it pushes the choke closed (clockwise from the viewpoint of the picutre), when it cools down, it releases it (counterclockwise) to fully open position.  It looks like I need a new thermostatic spring that winds the opposite direction.

I picked this part up at Autozone, and it was just a generic replacement for a Carter carburetor, and this one fit so I assumed it was correct.  Does anyone happen to know the correct part number, or someone who would have one?  I think if I get that, it should solve my choke problems.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 05:24:36 PM »
What model carb is this for or better yet and what what part number is on the black cover?  I don't have the spring but can probably look up the part number for you.
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Doc

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2009, 09:04:05 PM »
Choke plate should be closed upon start up (cold). As the the heat choke tube into the back of the "climatizer" choke cover gets warmer and warmer, it serves to open the choke plate. Should be able to observe that happening within just a few moments time.
'54 Manhattan
'54 Late Special
'51 Frazer sedan

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2009, 09:31:01 PM »
Yes, that is correct, Doc.  With the choke thermostat I currently have the opposite happens: the choke begins to close as it heats up.  Mbflemingkf, my carb is a Carter WGD-999S.  The choke thermostat that I have now (which is incorrect) is a WELLS E633, purchased at Autozone.  I would appreciate any help so that I can get the correct thermostat.  Thanks.

mbflemingkf

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 09:42:00 PM »
Logan, the WGD 999S was used on the 53-54 (non-supercharged) Kaisers.  According to the Carter carb sheet for the 1953 Kaisers, the cover and thermostat coil came as one unit.  It was called "Thermostat Coil & Housing Assembly" and the part number was 170T-72S.  Shouldn't be too hard to find from a used carb floating around.  Sorry I don't have one I can help you with.  Check out this web site, they may be able to help, or someone from the Forum may step up and assist...good luck!

http://www.carburetor.ca/
KFOCI #4818, Since 1982

Rear view mirror:
1954 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in FL)
1955 Kaiser Manhattan, 2 Door (Now in TX)
1953 Kaiser Manhattan, 4 Door (Now in Australia)
Thousands of parts & literature (All over the world)

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2009, 10:36:50 PM »
So I looked in Hemmings for people who specialize in carburetors and called one of them with my poblem.  The guy there said, "why don't you just take the spring out and flip it around?"  I wonder why that hadn't occurred to me.  It was glued onto the plastic housing and the tab broke while I was removing the spring, but with a little super glue I had it fixed.  Turned the spring around and now it works great.