Author Topic: AM Radio removal?  (Read 1974 times)

edc1953

• View Profile
    • Kaiser Fan
AM Radio removal?
« on: September 04, 2007, 01:37:27 PM »
Hello,

I have a 53 kaiser manhattan and wanted to know if there is a trick to taking the RAIDO out of the dash. It does not seem to go back far enough into the dash so that it can be removed from the bottom. Is there some special turn or twist to get it removed completely? The face plate and controlls do not clear the dash board.

Thanks a lot,
*EDC*

MilesP

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: AM Radio removal?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 04:06:07 PM »
On my 51 their is a section of the firewall insulation that has to be removed before it will go all the way back . Then it is a tight fit but a little pressing  and it comes out. Good luck

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2009, 12:25:31 PM »
I have removed the radio from my '53 several times.   The first time is the worst.   The panel below the radio which houses the vent pulls must be removed.  The panel runs under the clock too.  It's tough to get a wrench behind to hold the nut to get the panel screws out.    When you re-install the radio, replace the nuts with one of those clips over the hole.  Your screws will go back in there and tighten up the panel  The next time the radio needs to be extracted it will be much easier.   Have fun ;D

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2009, 06:29:50 PM »
Yes, be careful not force it out as I've seen a number of these where the station selector control is broken off because someone forced it out and broke it off.  Hard piece to ever find.  If you get the radio out and need it repaired, I can do that. Of course you'll have to pay shipping to send it to me but I can usually fix that type. One problem they have is the on/off switch burns up and you can't get that switch any more. Other than that I can usually make them work great.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 04:23:05 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

jmxkf1

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 03:33:32 PM »
OK Fid, I'll remember to contact you the next time the radio needs attention.   My resource in SF has retired.   When he worked on it last he discovered the burned out on/off switch but instead of telling me beforehand he told me to install an external switch under the dash.   It looks like it doesn't belong however.