Author Topic: 1953 Manhattan Sabre Jet Blue over Aust. Beige Paint info????  (Read 4155 times)

rio68

• View Profile
    • Email
1953 Manhattan Sabre Jet Blue over Aust. Beige Paint info????
« on: October 10, 2014, 09:01:45 AM »
I have my Dad's original '53 need paint info as to formula or later color matches for base coat clear paint. Hoping someone has been down this road and can advise what I'm up against. Code 444 '53 Manhattan 204 Sabre Jet blue upper and Australian beige lower. thanks for any help!!

montefrazer

• View Profile
    • Email

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 1953 Manhattan Sabre Jet Blue over Aust. Beige Paint info????
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 08:52:57 PM »
If you have a good spot of paint, like in a fender, door jam or trunk a body shop should be able to use a tool that will give them the correct formula specific to the formula and brand of paint you chose. Have them mix a small sample and then touch it on the spot to see if it matches. If it does you are home free.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 10:27:27 PM »
I have a sabre jet over Australian ( coolest combo out there) '53 that I just painted- got the paint from the above mentioned source and compared it to hidden areas (under door frames etc.) the match is perfect for both. Must say that with the urethane hardener it comes out extremely hard and shiny.

Hint- pot life once the hardener is added is only 8 hours. If promptly put in the freezer left over paint lasts for weeks anyway.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 05:47:12 PM »
What does it take?  Your local PPG paint jobber can get the EXACT mix formulas from the corporate Color Library based on paint color # and Paint name.  The Color Library scans their master chip with a computer spectrograph which prints out the current mix formula and sends it out to the jobber.  There is no charge to the jobber for the service but the mix formula is not supposed to be given to the customer.  If your local jobber doesn't know about this, get the name of the PPG Salesman who calls on the jobber so the jobber can be put in the picture...this service has been available for YEARS!.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2014, 05:56:13 PM »
I had a guy match the paint on my '52 J back in 2009 when I put the Continental kit on it. Perfect match and he gave me all the numbers for it. I had him do me some touch-up paint a couple of years later using that formula. You can't tell the difference. 
I agree, Sabre Jet blue over Australian Beige is an amazing color combination.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 09:57:52 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

JoeKeys2010

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2014, 09:24:30 PM »
I did Caribbean Coral and PPG could not pull up a formula on it. That's why I had the shoot the door jam, trunk and fender. When they did that it matched existing paint and I was satisfied.
1949 Kaiser Deluxe
1964 Ford Custom (Galaxie)
1960 Metropolitan

rio68

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
I'm waiting to hear from a PPG paint shop. Don't have a spot to "shoot" with the camera thing. Last time it had paint there must have been an issue on the lower color. They put what looks like the Ivory color on it so I have my work cut out for me. Stripped the hood and you can really see the difference in the colors. Can't wait to get the right colors back on it. Hope the PPG store can come through on formula's. With base coat/clear it should really be a sharp two tone.

Bulletin Editor

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 05:01:06 PM »
They may not be able to give a base coat/clear coat set up for the paint...there was no such thing as clear coat when the cars were new & there could be chemical reaction that would shift the color or hue.
Barbara Mueller
1952 Henry J Corsair deLuxe
KFOCI Secretary  secretary@kfclub.com
Bulletin Editor  bulletin@kfclub.com

rio68

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 10:37:09 PM »
Yep, but I hope there is something out there that will work.

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 11:19:11 AM »
I have to agree: this is a good color combination, and was the colors of my first Kaiser: also a '53 Manhattan.  The interior was dark brown bambu vinyl--I don't know the paint code, but it looked good.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2014, 10:25:16 PM »
The books show the inverse color combo as well- Australian beige over Sabre Jet Blue. Had a copperdust interior instead of the brown. Sounds nice, but I can't recall ever seeing one like this. Anyone else ever?

Logan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2014, 11:28:57 PM »
I just dug out my old trim code, and it is 5305: Australian Beige Luxura with Brown Bambu vinyl.  My paint code was 444, which is Sabre Jet Blue/Australian Beige.  Yes, I really thought that those colors looked nice together, and I'm sorry I don't still have that car.