Author Topic: Timing Chain Slack  (Read 1397 times)

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
Timing Chain Slack
« on: October 12, 2014, 12:39:23 AM »
I'm in the middle of replacing the oil pan gasket on my '53 Manhattan which requires me to basically take apart the entire bottom and front of the engine. Don't get me started on that.... >:( Anyway, I took off the balancer and the timing chain cover to access the screw that holds the front filler block on and noticed that my timing chain seems to be kind of loose. I've literally NEVER taken a timing chain cover off and inspected a chain so I don't know how loose is TOO LOOSE. I took a video showing this which can be accessed by clicking the youtube link below. Can someone watch the video and tell me if this chain is shot or if this is a normal amount of play?

P.S. The side of the chain that I started with in the video tightened up a bit when I turned the crankshaft but it's still got a decent amount of play. The bottom side did not seem to change much if at all.

http://youtu.be/SeEad5YRPzc
« Last Edit: October 12, 2014, 12:50:14 AM by shadetree77 »
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

joefrazer

• View Profile
Re: Timing Chain Slack
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 08:11:50 AM »
You're this far along, replace the chain, yours looks borderline. They are available and won't break the bank. The rule of thumb is when the two sides of the chain can be pressed together with your fingers, then replace the chain. But to do that, you have to remove it...so...you might as well replace it.

The shop manual details its replacement - page 52 of the 1951 shop manual.

http://circlekf.com/kflit/kfsourcepageresults.php?pub=KF&typ=SM&nbr=550&pag=052&submit=search

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Timing Chain Slack
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 09:55:43 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate it. I went ahead and took the chain off. The gears looks good and I think I'll re-use them even though the manual says they "should" be replaced it does not say they MUST be replaced. As for the chain, good call on that one. Look at this.....
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300