Author Topic: Magazine ads  (Read 2831 times)

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
Magazine ads
« on: October 14, 2014, 08:18:21 PM »
Does anyone collect Kaiser-Frazer magazine ads?  Jim Betts started a fine list of them many years ago and there must be around 450 different ones from the USA and Europe and South America.  Some of the South American ads which can be in Spanish as well as Portugese are hard to find.  They make a fine collection and there are many images that do not appear in sales literature.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:53:59 PM by Gordie »
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Magazine ads
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 09:22:39 PM »
Is that 600 different ads or including the same ad in several different magazines?  I use Jim's list and have added about a hundred different ads and about 200 additions to the ads that are listed.  Was your list ever published or is it available?  I'm sure that  the two handsfull of collectors including me would love to see it.  I have several hundred duplicates that I have accumulated over the years as do probably most collectors. I don't try to get every ad in several different magazines but collect different sizes and both black and white and color versions as well as different languages.   I have no lists.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2014, 10:54:28 PM by Gordie »
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Dragon

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 10:56:12 PM »
I have used Jim Betts online list to make up my collection.  IT has been very helpful.
KFOCI since 1968
1954 Kaiser Manhattan
1953 Dragon
1951 Dragon
1951 Business Coupe
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1936 International Tow Truck

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 05:30:12 AM »
Counting each MAGAZINE ad once (even though it ran in more than one magazine) and including ad proofs that show at least 1 magazine insertion (if more than 1 it was still counted only one time) and the ads run by suppliers (like the Borg-Warner ads that feature Jeepster or K-F cars) & overseas ads, I get 433 pieces. The count does include single page version of a double truck (2 page) ad).  It also includes ads run in trade magazines for the K-F or Willys dealer programs that were national placed (like MOTOR, MOTOR AGE, etc) as well as the black and white versions of color ads. 

If I add Newspaper Ads nationally placed by the factory that I have I'm around 500 total; If I include prewar Willys, Graham-Paige and Paige ads I am over 600 and I know I am missing materials. 

I have cataloged my items (with updates from time to time) as .doc files with thumbnails (color or b&w) to show the item.  Total file space at present for all the profolio ad books comes to somewhere around 100MB.  Because of the space required and perceived lack of interest I have not put it into KFOCI HANDBOOK Version 6.0

Do we count auto show program ads as magazine ads?  Do we count other ads that went into sports event programs (such as 1 version of the 1949 Kaiser Traveler ad of the layout that included a bear in one, pony in another)?  Before you can count, you have to set the parameters.  If we are going for any print ad (newspaper, magazine, program, special use, etc) You could be talking well over 1,000 if you count the newspaper ads that ran in places like Pittsburg and Los Angeles or San Francisco.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 12:21:58 PM »
Well, newspaper ads are a whole different ball game for me.  I don't really collect them but have accumulated many and the full page ads are so large that it is hard to display them other than framing them.  I have the NYC ad for the first showing of the K-F at the Waldorf Astoria Hotel and another for announcing the purchase of the Willow Run plant.  They need to be collected and there must be thousands of different ones, many done by dealers.  I do collect any ads on slick paper publications like auto shows, and sporting events.  The magazine proofs were really intended to be wall posters but I use the information on them as they often list the magazine and dates of publication.  I don't include pre-Graham Paige Frazer ads or pre-war Willys but do accumulate them and consider Willys ads separately except for late 1953-55 when they were the same company.  There may be more Willys ads than K-F as they really advertised extensively in the 1940's and fifties. There are a couple of cd's made about K-F ads: Kaiser-Frazer A History in Advertising and another Automobile Ads-The Other Guys which also includes Hudson, Nash, Packard and Studebaker.  Neither is complete but interesting.   Now I'm curious and will count my K-F and Willys ads.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Aeroman

• View Profile
    • Willys Aero Survival Count
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
I can count about 75 Willys Aero ads, some foreign, some newspaper, some mats for dealers to print from, but mostly magazine ads. I am positive that I am missing quite a few. I would like to get digital copies of every one that ever existed. Don't need to own the paper, although that would be nice.
Rick Kamen
KFOCI LM4314 since 1979
Willys Aero Survival Count
aeroman@aol.com
http://clubs.hemmings.com/willysaero
1954 Willys Aero Eagle "Old Toby"
1964 Ford Econoline panel van
Once owned 11 other Willys Aeros and a Willys wagon, 2 Kaisers, 1 Henry J, plus Studebakers, Hudsons, a Nash and others.

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 06:10:21 PM »
How do you guys display your full page newspaper ads?  Is there a book that is large enough to hold them without folding them?
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 09:46:06 PM »
I showed them at the National this year when we did the evening thing.  Iota makes profolio books with acid-free materials.  They come in sizes from postcard to full page newspaper size.  Books are available within the range for 24, 48, 72 and 96 pages (single sided).  If you do not have a Hobby Lobby, Michaels, or similar type artist supply store around they have a web site you can order from.  Because the materials are acid-free, they do not as a rule react significantly with the old paper to stain, brittle up or otherwise deteriorate the materials.  Standard magazine size is 11 x 14 inches, 11 x 17 covers the KAISER FRAZER DEALER NEWS sized tabloids.  8 1/2 x 11 size is good for factory photos (although an 8 x 10 is available).

Gordie

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2014, 01:14:17 AM »
Thanks,  I went on line and found Hobby Lobby but they did not seem to have larger than 14 x 17 inches which is not large enough for a newspaper page.  I will check the local store tomorrow to see if they have the larger books in stock.  I have several of the smaller ones and they are very nice.  An album that holds a newspaper page would probably hold many of the smaller wall posters also.  I bought over 140 albums with six pocket pages for my automobile postcard collection from 20th Century Plastics and I have recently learned that they have gone out of business and no one else carries their albums so I am scrambling to find additional albums.  It is nice to have them all be of the same type.  Who else is collecting magazine ads?  There must be many of you.  John Haller, Alan Hoegle and Ben Walker all had nice collections.
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom