Author Topic: Mechanic needed  (Read 1621 times)

chuck.brightly

• View Profile
    • Email
Mechanic needed
« on: September 15, 2009, 11:06:41 PM »
I am in need of a DEPENABLE mechanic to work on my '52 Kaiser. I live in the northern part of Wyoming. I am having problem getting someone to install a kickdown switch on the accelerator linkage. I'm 71 years old and I can't do it myself. I don't want to take the car more then 500 miles from here is possible. I want to get this done soon because I want to drive this car this spring. Please reply to this topic and I'll keep checking back here. Thank you.

HJ-ETEX

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Mechanic needed
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2009, 09:55:38 PM »
Chuck: I would guess since there aren't a lot of people in your area, there aren't a lot independent commercial auto mechanics either. Those that are both familar with OD wiring and are reliable cuts that number down more. But look, KF cars (and other American orphan marks) are not complicated or particularly strange. You say you can't do the repair yourself, but I think if you can start and drive the car, you can either do it yourself or direct a younger person. You need either a KF Shop Manual (they are available) or a general manual such as a Chilton's Manual to show the electrical circuit and troubleshooting procedures. You would remove the original wiring (the original cloth wiring is almost always oil soaked and shredded) and duplicate it using new PVC insulted wiring and terminals. 

You didn't say whether you had a new kick down switch. If you study the wiring diagram, you can see that a kick down switch is not essential to the normal operation of the OD; that is, you can connect the wires as if there wasn't a switch in the circuit. When I put an OD in my Henry J, the kick down switch had been removed from the donor car - everything else was there. I drove my HJ for several years like that until I found a switch. The OD will disengage if the speed drops below aprox. 28 mph if there is no load on the engine anyway.

By the way, you do know that you can MECHANICALLY engage the OD while moving - pull the OD handle out. But, you have to come to a stop before DISENGAGING the OD (and the freewheeling). Could be scary going down mountain.
KFOCI VP 2001-2005
1951 Kaiser Deluxe /327 Chevy
1951 Kaiser Deluxe (no funny stuff)
1968 Kaiser Commando V6
1961 Willys 2WD 134 F-Head SW
1963 Kaiser FC170

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 09:00:03 AM »
To add to this, the kick down switch has terminals that are iron and held to brass contacts with rivets. The rivets rust over time and no longer allow current flow to the brass terminals so even if you have a new kickdown switch, make sure the rivets on the terminals are not rusted. Actually, you engage the OD by pushing the OD cable IN and  yes, you can do it while the car is moving.  If I was in your area, I'd stop by and install it for you, it's actually pretty easy.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 09:03:28 AM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

superk226

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 11:44:12 PM »
What type of problem are you having with the overdrive and how did you determine the OD switch was causing the problem?