Author Topic: Fuel Filter  (Read 1968 times)

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
Fuel Filter
« on: November 25, 2014, 06:04:44 PM »
Looking through the '51-'52 KF manual, specifically the section on fuel lines. I noticed they show a fuel filter located on the drivers side by the motor mount. My car has totally incorrect fuel lines as they were re-routed by a previous owner. I'll be putting them back original soon. Anyway, my questions are concerning the filter. It seems to indicate that the filter was an option of sorts as it says it could be a "filter OR union fitting" at that location. Was the filter an option or is my car supposed to have one? Does anyone have a photo of an original filter installed in the correct location? By the way, my car is a '53 Manhattan.
Robert Trail
Former Tech. Article Editor Buick Bugle Magazine
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1952 Buick Special Deluxe (Lucy)
1951 Packard 300

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Fuel Filter
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2014, 10:29:23 PM »
It depends. '53's used either an AC or Carter fuel pump- the former had an integral fuel filter, so there was just a union in the line. The Carter had none such, and a separate unit had to be installed between the pump and carb. Now, my '53 Manhattan when I got it in '58 had a Carter pump, but no external filter, so go figure. I drove for many years with no filter at all. That said, in the inlet of the Carter carb there is a cylindrical screen that does filter the incoming gas. Can't say I ever saw anything trapped in it. In the late 60's I did find a scintered brass filter for some other car  that nicely fit where the screen went. Used it since with no issues (nor apparently anything ever getting trapped in it.) This all resulted in one less gas line junction, which is an advantage.

So would suggest you see what sort of pump you have. If an AC, you need nothing else, but should clean the integral filter once in a while.

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2014, 11:14:37 PM »
Thanks for clearing that up! I really appreciate the info. I have a Carter style pump. Found a good picture in the manual of where and how an external filter is located. I just so happen to have an old Carter glass bowl filter lying around too so I guess when I re-do the lines I'll include the filter in the stock location.

You mentioned the inlet on the Carter carb, I just took mine apart to rebuild it and that screen is missing. This carb is also missing the spring that goes on the vacumeter! I'm guessing somewhere along the line a previous owner took the carb apart to try and clean it and ended up with spare parts after putting it back together. Now I'm going to have to find another carburetor to use for parts. Always something! Anybody have a spare Carter 999S carb lying around? :-)
Robert Trail
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1951 Packard 300

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 12:28:52 PM »
1947-50 Kaisers & 1947-51 Frazers have the fuel filter built into the fuel pump.  1951-52 Virginian Kaisers got the in-line fuel filter; the 1951 Kaiser & Frazer Shop Manual shows where this was installed.  1952-53 Kaisers went back to the filter on the pump.  1954 Kaisers without superchargers also had the filter on the pump.

dpledger

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2014, 12:36:54 AM »
I have a superfluity of old carbs and parts lying about- once you determine what you are missing I'm sure I can come up with it. The screen actually could be easily made. I wouldn't want to be missing the vacumeter spring.

shadetree77

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2014, 03:45:46 AM »
I appreciate the offer DP. The carb. is a Carter WGD 999S. Below is a list of missing parts and some pictures with the parts circled in red. If you happen to have any of these you can respond here or private message me. Thanks again.

Picture 1- I am missing 2 of the 3 sets of choke housing retainers and screws. My black plastic choke housing is cracked as well and I could use a new one.

Picture 2- I am missing the vacuumeter piston spring.

Picture 3- I am missing the cylindrical strainer that goes under the large nut.

P.S. I am also missing the thin metal triangular tag that goes under one of the bolts on the bowl cover. It's the identification tag for the carburetor and should be marked "999S". Not that important but it would be nice to have one if you have a spare lying around.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2014, 04:46:02 AM by shadetree77 »
Robert Trail
Former BCA#46402
Former KFOCI#10647

1953 Kaiser Manhattan
1951 Packard 300