Author Topic: Whats your best guess?  (Read 872 times)

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Whats your best guess?
« on: June 25, 2018, 12:42:11 PM »

I offered $11,000.They said $13,500 was their lowest . Keep in mind it will cost me $2,000 to bring it back east. I know all buys are driven by personal intrests ,but what do you think it is worth relating to other buys you are familial with. 4 cyl, no O.D., good paint, good chrome, interior decent no attempt at originality.Antenna ,but no radio or heater. It came from Arizona.

http://matthewsmemorylanemotors.com/forsale/1953-allstate-series-4-coupe/
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Whats your best guess?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2018, 01:09:15 PM »
A question I always ask is if I had to resell it tomorrow what could I expect. That 4 Cyl., no O.D. is a death blow to the K\F crowd.
I am a sucker for blue HJs and ALLSTATES.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

Gordie

• MSN Messenger - gordies1@verizon.net
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Gordie
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2018, 01:11:49 PM »
That appears to be the deluxe version of the 4 cylinder Allstate which was not available on the Henry J.  Although the interior is nice but not authentic and the rare wheel covers are missing it looks like a very nice car and if a good runner a couple of thousand dollars won't make much difference in a few years.  If you like it fly out and drive it home and save $1,000.  You can add overdrive when you get it home.
Member #3151 Since June 1974
Vice President K.F.O.C.I. 2013-2017  President 2018-2019
'47 Graham Paige Frazer                                   
'51 Kaiser Deluxe club coupe       
'51 Kaiser customized convertible 
'52 Allstate serial#39
'53 Aero Eagle
'54 Aero Eagle Custom

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2018, 01:24:24 PM »
I agree with Gordie, if that helps.   If you're not planning on taking it on long drives on the freeway, it would be  fun car.  I don't think it's possible to revive an Allstate to true authenticity any more and some parts are just not available so they must be preserved by whatever means are available. This one appears to be nicely done within those boundaries.

fly out and drive it home and save $1,000.  You can add overdrive when you get it home.
If it makes it home.  A four without OD must be driven very cautiously. I had mine up to 65 mph... for a few minutes before it blew.  My dad bought a '52 Corsair in Louisville in 1956, it was a four without OD and it had the 47/11 rear end which was supposed to be an improvement, and it still threw two rods (two separate episodes) between Kentucky and South Dakota. 

I think it's a car worth preserving if that means anything.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2020, 01:41:15 PM by Fid »
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 09:17:07 AM »
Four cylinder HJ's without overdrive were set up for a top speed of around 50MPH.  If you ever get to see the 1949 RFC Loan agreement, you'll find that Kaiser-Frazer had to build the car to certain RFC mandated specifications and pricing or it would be in default of the loan.  That makes it the first civilian automobiles built to government ordered requirements.  Overdrive is a must on these cars unless the owner plans to trailer queen it for long distance trips.  Barbara and I could have purchased a Henry J years ago if we would take one with the 4 cylinder motor. 

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 06:27:58 PM »
Given no OD and the work it will need to make the interior close to correct, I think somewhere south of ten grand would be fair.