Author Topic: 49 Frazer color  (Read 2525 times)

FrazerWill

• View Profile
49 Frazer color
« on: June 20, 2010, 08:42:12 PM »
My black 49 Frazer Manhattan has the dubunne (spelling) color in the inside. Does anyone have the formula for this paint color?

I have an old paint chip paper and the inside upper door panel off to take to the paint people but I would like to get as close as I can to the stock color.

Also, is it ...OK... to "not" put the "metallic" in the paint. I personally prefer just the color. And I'm thinking of painting the top of the car this dubunne color to off set the "all black" car and not sure how the non black would look with the "metallic" dubunne on top.

I'm not looking for a points car, just nice.

Any thoughts???

Thanks, Will in Whittier

pnw_oldmags

• Administrator
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
    • CircleKF Website
    • Email
Re: 49 Frazer color
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 09:35:51 PM »
Most chips list this color mixing formula as Not available but this page does show it.

http://circlekf.com/kfcars/KFCPAcme_9ap695.pdf
hope this helps.
Jim Betts  LM6945
PNW Traveler Editor
CircleKF Webmaster
https://circlekf.com

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2010, 04:59:10 AM »
I assume that your TRIM number on the firewall plate is 641 (Dubonnet Bedford cloth) or 661 (Dubonnet Face Finished cloth). 

Original formula information for paint mixing is useless today...many of the component colors from when the cars were new are no longer made due to government regulation on chemical content.  However, you can get your local PPG jobber to contact the PPG corporate Color Library for mixing formulas that use currently available component colors.  The Library has original sample colors on file and uses a spectrometer and a computer to scan the sample and identify it's components.  There is no extra charge for PPG performing this service, the understanding being that the jobber retains the mix info (it comes out in PPG component colors anyway) and makes the paint sale. 

To do this, you will need the K-F paint number for Dubonnet (155) as used on exteriors.   This is listed as being a non-metallic color in the Confidential Bulletins from Kaiser-Frazer Sales Corporation as well as the Service Bulletins for the color as used in 1949-50 model years.

One last thing...while the particulars of an automobile are of course, the choices of the owner(s), the PAINT number on the firewall will identify the exterior paintwork of the car as done originally at the factory.  Incorrect color not only is a point deduction, it could also lower the resale value of the vehicle.

kaiserfrazerlibrary

• KFOCI Historian
    • AOL Instant Messenger - none
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - none
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2010, 05:01:26 AM »
Oh,  one other thing...

Because of variations in how colors are reproduced on a computer, scans of original paint chips may not be the best source for establishing colors.  Also, take into account that paint chips can "weather" over time and should be used only as an approximate reference.  The club will have to grapple with the issue of original paint changing shades over time due to natural aging (such as with Caribbean Coral and Saddle Bronze Metallics)

FrazerWill

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 09:09:20 PM »
Thanks,
   The TRIM Number is 661. The dash is the Dubonnet color with the metallic. The outside of the car is all black. I have the upper door panel off and where the door jam fits the paint is nice...with the metallic.

I'm glad to hear the outside Dubonnet color is NON metallic. I'll take these numbers and parts over and see what they can do.

Is there any pictures of a black 49-50 Frazer with a Dubonnet top around? The colors go good together.

Thanks again for all the help with this..

Will in Whittier... or FrazerWill ...