Author Topic: Touch Up Paint  (Read 2294 times)

steve375

• View Profile
    • Email
Touch Up Paint
« on: November 29, 2014, 03:08:03 PM »
I have a 1952 Henry J Vagabond and have a few places to touch up. Under the hood is the paint code. Can I use this code to match up the paint or does anyone have a better suggestion. Thanks.
Steve

Corsairdeluxe

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Touch Up Paint
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2014, 03:37:58 PM »
Good luck finding a touch up paint. I have done this...Remove the glove box door and take it to the biggest hobby shop around. They usually have a big selection of model paint I have also done this.. take the door to Home depot. They will put it on their spectrometer and make you an 8 ounce sample of gloss water based paint. It is not as durable as lacquer and if used over rust it will bleed through.
Jim Brown aka Corsairdeluxe
10 Henrys and 1 ALLSTATE
behind me. J less at the moment and having irrational thoughts.

dusty

• MSN Messenger - mr_blueberry30@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2014, 07:38:40 PM »
Paint!!!!!   go to a PPG Auto paint store with the code and as Gordie suggested and have them mix a spray can's of single stage paint for you, I just had some made for "Green tint" paint in acrilic enamel and off white vinyl to match the color for mu DRAGON  it cost $26.00 per can but WOW a perfect match.

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 12:06:21 PM »
A '52 Vagabond won't have a glove box so removing the door is not an option. I took my '52 Vagabond to a restoration shop, the guy read the paint code (325, Cape Verde Green) and ordered me the paint. That was in 2009. The problem was, the car had already been repainted a 1990 "Close match"  which has a bit more metallic in it so the touch up paint does me no good.  For the dash and under the hood, it is correct. There may be a place local to you that can match it based on that code. The place that did it for me was
Lynn's Auto Body & Restoration
10714 175th St W Lakeville, MN 55044
(952) 435-7596

It might be worth giving Lynn a call and asking him how he did it. I'm pretty sure he'd remember me.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

Barnum

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 01:01:50 PM »
Most autobody paint supply shops have the equipment to match your paint.Having the code is a start...but most classic cars have had at least one repaint. If you take the car to them(or a piece of it)It can be scanned and matched.Of course you will still want to test it to be sure it is a match.The best way to do that it to spray a test piece(piece of sheet metal) and hold it against the car. I have used Tower Paint in the past with good results . http://www.apstowerpaint.com/index.php   http://www.apstowerpaint.com/category/custom-mixed-paint/3
1968 Buick Skylark Convertible
1954 Aero Eagle
Taylor Brugman

Fid

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 02:46:26 PM »
Good point Branum. I think you provided the most useable answer. When I installed the continental kit on my '52 Vagabond, I drove it to the body shop and they scanned the door and got a perfect match for the early '90s paint that the car was last painted with. They painted my Continental kit parts and as I said - perfect match. Steve375, if your car is drivable, you should be able to take it to a body shop and have it scanned and get an exact match.
1953 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
Edgar Kaiser's custom 1951 Henry J
1951 Kaiser Special
1952 Allstate Deluxe

Need your classic car radio repaired? I repair vacuum tube radios

BigDave LM6174

• 1951 Kaiser Deluxe & 1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
    • MSN Messenger - dball344@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 12:30:26 AM »
My 52 HJ was missing the glove box door.  It had been painted 20 years ago but was never put back together.  The car was not running,but my friend who does custom painting took the front splash pan off the car behind the front bumper.  He carried it into the paint shop and they polished it and scanned it.  On the 4th try, they got a perfect match.  The first had toomuch silver, the second was not enough green, and back and forth until they found a perfect match.  I have a 1 gallon can of the paint in case I ever need to paint a fender or anything.  You can't tell that the glove box door was not painted at the same time as the car.
Big Dave
KFOCI LM 6174
Whittier, CA.
1951 Kaiser Deluxe
1952 Henry J Corsair Deluxe
1958 Lido 14 Sailboat W/Trailer
1958 Carry All Trailer

joefrazer

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 05:42:04 AM »
It's amazing how far paint tech has come. Thirty years ago I worked for a subsidiary of Sherwin Williams and to match paint batches we would do what was called a "draw down" and visually, with a trained eye, match the shade. There were several of us in the shop who shaded and each of us had our own color range. I remember when we got our first spectrometer, it was a large and expensive chunk of machinery.